Kids

Kids

Thursday 20 September 2012

Ragi cake - taking healthy to a whole new level!

Another baking experiment with a Ragi cake! I was a little apprehensive about how it would taste. Of course I've done whole wheat cakes with jaggery before and they tasted good but ragi was taking health to a whole new level :) I did not have plain ragi so I used the stuff I use to make kanji  or porridge for Ads. It's a ragi-based sattu maavu or health mix. We both love it (while father and daughter will not go near it!).
I followed the recipe to a T, only adding a little more curd than was recommended since I felt the batter was too dry.
The cake got me a lot of compliments. It has a nutty flavour (because of the almonds and cashews in the health mix) and it is something I'll definitely be baking again. A colleague at office who normally shuns super-healthy stuff helped herself to seconds and thirds and that really made my day :)
No pictures, unfortunately. But do try this recipe and let me know how it came out! Litebit.in has come lovely recipes and I can't wait to try out the ones for the kids lunchboxes. Look out for more cooking updates in this space :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds really healthy and yummy. Will try it out sometime. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! the recipe seems quite simple..will try it out and let you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. am definitely trying this, was wondering what to do with a whole packet of ragi! Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check if ur kids like it! Tell me what they said :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds very interesting. I am definitely going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)