Kids

Kids

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Easy snack - buttered beans

Another easy snack and super-healthy to boot. Ads loves these buttered beans with almonds and has been requesting these for snack for the last couple of weeks. I wasn't able to get just the right beans - the one at our local sabji-wala looked so tired and wilted in the monsoon heat! Finally managed to get some good fresh beans yesterday and packed it for Ads' short break today. Y won't have it as-is, I know, so dressed hers up with some corn, paneer and yellow peppers and hopefully those will get consumed.
Cut the beans julienne. Immerse in boiling water for a few minutes. Grate or finely cut a few almonds. Drain the beans and saute in a pan along with a generous dollop of butter (I use Amul table butter). Add salt, pepper (if required) and oregano. Add the almonds, give everything a good shake to mix ém up and it's done! It's crunchy, buttery and yummy :) This also makes for a nice side dish while entertaining.
I remember the first time I ate this. It was on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. We were having sourdough bread and clam chowder and ordered beans just to see what it would be like. One of the best meals I've ever had, looking out over the beautiful bay :)

 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks so yummy, healthy and so simple to make! I have never had these before. I am going to try this out soon. Thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Let me know how it turned out :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea of adding almonds to it. I do this with finely chopped garlic and pepper. Will try this with my kids definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do update if they liked it :) My daughter eats the beans but leaves all the almonds behind :(

      Delete
  3. wow..that easy, huh? should def try then!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)