Kids

Kids

Saturday 22 September 2012

Mother Bear!

You know you need stop eating and start exercising when
  •  Your son can't get enough of hugging you and affectionately says - Amma, you feel just like a polar bear!
  • When the low-rise jeans no longer fit while the postpartum jeans of almost 4 years ago sit nice and snug on your waist!
  • When you catch yourself eating dessert after every meal, and in between meals!
I blame the husband for this – one hundred per cent. Being a single parent is taking its toll on my waistline, if nothing else (how's that for some nifty blame-shifting?) With S travelling a minimum of four days a week, and often five, the entire load of managing house and child-care has fallen on me. With no backup and no one to share my anxieties (real or imagined), two things have happened.
My exercise routine, which once ticked along like clockwork, has fallen by the wayside. With no one to watch over Y in the mornings, I can’t go for my brisk walks any more. Any home-based workout is also out of the question as I have enough to do in the mornings with getting her ready for school and myself dressed for work. Plus, I’m reaching out to food as a stress-buster. I’ve always been a bit of a stress-eater and this situation has aggravated my natural instinct towards emotional eating.
The result? The kilos have piled on (and I look like a polar bear, apparently!). A few months ago, thanks to a nasty stomach infection, I’d whittled down to my pre-baby weight, the lightest I’ve been since Ads was born. While I’ve never believed I being stick-thin, I do want to be and look fit. When I don’t exercise, I fall ill more often and my energy levels are not as high as I need them to be.
Starting last week, I resolved to somehow fit in some daily yoga and walks whenever S is in town (and even if he isn’t, perhaps nightly, post tuck-kids-into-bed walks would work). And stop reaching out for that bhujia or murukku when I’m bored or hassled! No unattainable objectives, just some minor lifestyle changes. Take it nice and slow. Wish me luck!

13 comments:

  1. Wish you all the very best of luck!! :)
    That is some hectic routine .. But all in the game I guess .. So Go Go Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, cant believe you are putting on weight ;-)..I keep telling people I put on weight even if I see food...

    All the best for new exercise regime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like that too, I tend to reach out to food too when in stress. And now that winter is approaching it will be even more difficult to go for a walk or jog for me! Wish you luck in your resolution:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husbands are always the root cause of our weight gain.I gained weight due to my doc husband's unhealthy food habits and his late night returns from the hospital. Waking up till late hours makes me really hungry and I tend to do lot of midnight snacking. Yeah, but trying to get back on track now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ looking like a polar bear. So cute! :)

    On a serious note, stress-related eating is very dangerous to health. I have realised its perils lately. I know it is difficult to fit in exercise into an already hectic routine, and saying a strict no-no to different kinds of tempting food, but it is crucial. It needs loads of determination and a strong eye on the goal. I am trying to do that too, now. Feels like walking a tightrope, but feels good at the end of the day, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that u are sticking to it...I hope to do so too.

      Delete
  6. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aparna - I enjoyed this post - the blame shifting part esp! :) Since we say that to each other - both jokingly and seriously, "you are to blame for every problem in my life" type of thing! :) I don't eat when I am stressed...am not much of a snacker either...but just as bad for me because when I am stressed I look like a ghost and not a polar bear and personally I prefer a polar bear (am sure my kids would love it too) to a ghost! :) But I do agree - regular exercise is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to you. See if you can make minor changes to the diet. And do atleast 15 minutes of exercise to a home video in the mornings. That would be a great energy boost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I try to do yoga to my favourite youtube yoga channel. Not been very consistent thus far.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)