Kids

Kids

Thursday 26 July 2012

Ad-Lib#10, Geekiness and Khichdi

Ads had Science week in school. They were supposed to perform simple experiments in class, make a presentation on endangered animals and think of puzzles/riddles to quiz their classmates on. Altogether a lot of fun for our geek. He came back home everyday quite disillusioned with his classmates' overall lack of knowledge! "Amma, they don't even know that tigers and lions' habitats are totally different! Amma, they don't know that tigers and lions have existed since prehistoric times. Amma, so-and-so did such a silly experiment - everyone knows water is colourless and odourless! All the children in my class think polar bears hibernate!"
These were some of the comments he passed as soon as he entered the door. But my favourite, as always - "They don't know nothing! They only know cricket!"
Many a time, I've also been accused of the same ignorance! When I was travelling, he would bombard me with facts like "Do you know a walrus weighs 1.2 tons?" I'd say "Yeah?" at which he would explode - "Amma, why are you not surprised?? A walrus' weight is 1.2 TONS!!! You're not LISTENING!"
I've been telling him that we will watch the Olympic highlights together and make a list of all the Indian medalists, and we'll also watch the tennis and swimming events (since he's currently learning both). He isn't very keen and thinks sports are a waste of his time.
Time better spent in getting to be more geeky, eh?
Someone asked Y yesterday what did she like best and she said polar bears. She also wants to be a zoologist like her hero. Only condition - she will wear pink and not brown like the boring clothes that most zoologists wear. Ads teased her - "You are a khichdi. You need to wear brown for camouflage. The wild animals will see you and they'll eat you up."
Y wailed. Not because the wild animals would eat her (lesser problem!) but because her Anna called her a Khichdi. Don't ask me what it means. That's the most insulting thing they ever say to each other! Sometimes, when they get mad at me, I can hear them whispering to each other - Amma is a khichdi.

20 comments:

  1. LOL at Khichdi..please am intrigued..find out what it means :-)
    and wow, Ads is definitely more knowledgeable than his peers. The science week must have been a breeze for him what with him giving the encyclopedia itself a good competition. Poor him, can understand the frustration for not having enough competition from his peers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S says - let's move down south so that he can meet more geeks! :)
      I tell u - the guy needed to study in some place like PSBB chennai (hope u know about PSBB) :)

      Delete
    2. every tam-bram's dream school..of course I know :-)
      R also shows signs of being a geek..is it really a regional/cultural trait??

      Delete
    3. I definitely think so, Uma!

      Delete
  2. Lol! Your kids give you so much fodder for one of those RD's Life's Like That columns. But I am intrigued - how did your son get so interested in wildlife and nature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis-in-lae got him a set of 10 books - big cats, sharks, mummies, gladiators etc etc. He got hooked from then on. Actually that's when he started seriously reading on his own as well. I posted about that here: http://advaithandyukta.blogspot.in/2012/03/reading-and-more.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will check these out.

      Delete
  3. We have an animal lover cum encyclopedia at home too!! My nephew :)
    Am swelling with pride looking at your reply to Uma's comment .. Cos am from PSBB :)
    And I've always been ridiculously proud of it :)
    But don't ask me if am a geek .. Then I'd have to covert :) to :(
    Anyways we managed to put the lil geek there .. Sis also being an ex-student, it turned out a little easy ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh - difficult to get into PSBB isn't it - I guess alumni have it a little easier.

      Delete
  4. i know what it means :D. khichdi means total mess - totally tasteless and an eye sore - think of the north indian khichdi synonymous with dirty hospital food :).
    i remember using the phrase when am totally exasperated - its all become one big khichdi :D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's it! Anyway my kids hate khichdi while I love it...we always have a fight the day it's a khichdi dinner at home :)

      Delete
  5. Win scholarships worth Rs. 1 lakh for your kids.
    All you parents out there participate now.

    http://on.fb.me/QkUi3X

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol @ Khichadi :) me likes this term!!!

    Adi is such a GK master re :)

    There are so many things that kids these days know and we tend to fall out as compared to them,right? makes us keep ourselves updated all that time...which is good in a way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sure, tho sometimes I switch off and just pretend to be listening!

      Delete
    2. hehe this strategy is good to apply sometimes too :)

      Delete
  7. Akanksha Saluja31 July 2012 at 20:12

    Hi Aparna,
    Hi... wanted to connect with you regarding a health initiative by Dettol ! We require your support to reach to maximum mothers and spread the awareness on how ‘germ free’ environment adds to your child’s overall development. Please go through this link - http://www.dettol.co.in/
    If this interests you, please get in touch with me: akanksha.saluja@bloggersmind.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I wish they would do that here in KB's school - science week and quizzes and what not. He would love something like that...my sil got him some game with quiz questions about wild animals meant for 8 yr olds - he just loved it. And what you said about his reaction to Walrus is exactly what happens here...KB waits for me to say - wow - really? That much...until I exclaim like that he would repeat it and say it over and over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have been siblings in their last birth :) Twins!

      Delete
  9. I love the sound of the geeky Ads. It's a blessing to have a kid like that!

    Awwww @ the prospective zoologist who wants to wear hep pink clothes!

    LOL @ khichdi. That's so cute! That's the rudest word that they say when they are made at each other or you - super! That's a blessing too, considering all that I have heard from the mouths of babes these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Kids are so foul-mouthed these days. So far, so good - fingers crossed!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)