Kids

Kids

Monday 2 July 2012

Dad S vs Mom Me

This is not a delayed Father's Day post or anything like that :) I thought of this post after coming back home from our Kumaon break, when we had those episodes of the kids throwing up one after the other while driving through mountain roads. Ads has just finished his session (!) and I knew Y would be up next, so I elected to sit in the front seat with her on my lap. I generally never allow the kids on the front seat but it makes a big difference when you are nauseous if you are up front. 
In this case, Y did not seem to feel any better. I kept asking her "How do you feel - are you going to throw up?" and she would always reply in the negative. S was right at the back and he kept telling me "Don't go by what she says - stop the car and get her down." Of course, I did not listen :) 
And obviously, the next minute, she had coughed and thrown up all over me :(
I was cleaning up and S came around and said "I told you so. She's not Ads. You need to focus on the non-verbal clues."
So I did not really appreciate being fed a parenting lesson when I was covered in puke. However, the episode did underline my husband's vastly superior parenting skills, relative to my own. I used to feel a little insecure about it when Ads was first born. Why, both S and I had begun from the same start line, yet from Day 1 he instinctively knew how to carry and soothe Ads, how to change his diaper without making a mess, how to take sprays of bodily fluids with equanimity, how to know when he was falling sick, when he was hungry and when I needed a hard kick up my butt to wake up and breastfeed him :)
Even today, based on their moods and behaviour, he can tell when the kids are about to fall sick. He can predict a hunger tantrum a clear 15 minutes before I do. He knows what they mean even when they aren't saying it. Not that I can't do any of these things, it's just that he does it so much better and faster and accurately than I do. As my mother put it so many years ago - His father's instinct is so much better than your mother's instinct!
I have girlfriends who call S their best friend, because they know they can drop their kids off with S and he'll happily handle 4 kids for several hours while we girls go shopping :) When we go out to a birthday party, S is far more likely to hang out with the kids and play their games instead of chatting with the other adults. I have to tell people - "You see, he enjoys the company of children more than the company of adults." He's happy to spend a whole day hanging out with Ads and Y and then some more. I simply can't take a whole 2 days of my children's company, undiluted :) He'll read to them, play hockey with them, take them swimming and talk untiringly about wild animals. Yesterday I was calling Y for her bath and he said he'll do it. I said no, it's ok, I have time. He retorted "You don't MIND giving them a bath. But I LOVE doing it. So let me do it."
When I'm feeling crabby, I tend to tell him that he only loves doing all this stuff because he doesn't have to, every single day. He has the luxury of doing the bath routine and all the other routines on the weekends only (he arrives too late to do it on weekdays). But even I know that I'm being unfair as I say this. Often as I am giving the kids a bath and they giggle and whisper and throw soap suds at me, I wistfully wish that S were there to witness the cuteness.
Several years ago, I thought I was getting an awesome husband. I didn't realize that I was getting an awesome Dad as well!

17 comments:

  1. wow..such a lovely post and a lovely tribute as well to your husband and the father. The kids and you are a lucky lot!
    My husband has now become a hands-on father..the transformation took a little effort and was also gradual..but am grateful of the fact that he chose to do it (aside from some phases of nagging on my side)..I wouldn't say he loves to do the bathing and bum washing stuff but he doesn't crib these days and does it far more often than earlier..
    so maybe it is only fair that I too give him the crown of a good father and husband :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Uma that hubby has now been given the coveted crown :) apart from the fact that it helps us moms a whole lot, think about what a positive role model he would be for R.
      Now aren't you happy that you nagged? :)

      Delete
  2. Right on. I was just nodding thru the post. Loved and loved the last 2 lines of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sumana. Looks like u have a fantastic dad at your place as well....we're lucky :)

      Delete
  3. So very glad to hear something like this !!
    All I keep hearing from the married people at my workplace is rants, rants and more rants .. Whew!! It’s given me such scary images of married life that I eye it with suspicion and wonder if it would be an act of binding myself in iron chains..
    So amidst all this, thank you so much for the dose of positivity that you have given by way of expressing your happiness.. Kudos to S for all that he is and to you for recognizing and appreciating it.. You two sound a lot like my sis and BIL :) Yes I do see quite a few of positive instances around me too but the not so nice stories scare the daylights out of me :(

    And this is one thing I really like about your blog .. In spite of it being majorly about kids and parenting etc, it is so full of positivity .. Very happy to come across people enjoying that phase of life ..

    That's how we ought live after all .. Yes, there are travails and challenges in every phase but what’s life without a bit of everything ? Happiness is a combined result of God given blessings and a lot of how we count those blessings and enjoy them to the fullest ..
    And each phase in life is unique and is to be enjoyed for all that it offers .. One cannot be compared to the other .. Just enjoy it as it comes!!
    ------------------ End of Loooooooooong comment (Sorry, couldn’t hold it back :) ) -------------------------

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks aarthy, i really enjoyed reading your looooong comment :) Thanks for taking the time out to write what you feel. What I've always felt is that one can't really appreciate the good things in life w/o having seen the bad stufff...yes we have had challenges aplenty. Do I think S is perfect all the time? Not at all. We have our disagreements and petty annoyances - yet its so important to focus on all the positives.

      Delete
  4. A very loving post! And loved the candid way you've written it. Indeed you and your kids are lucky. Touchwood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chatty Wren...yes we are lucky. Touchwood again!

      Delete
  5. Very nice post. I feel blessed too in that way so could relate to what you wrote. Evn more importantly, I have always sensed my mothering instinct to be less shall I say polished....than the hubby's so very glad to hear there are others like me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey smita...in that case - samepinch!!! :)

      Delete
  6. loved the last two lines... I don't think it is entirely unfair to presume that S might not love all of this if he had to do it everyday. truth is, we will never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumanya - true. Unless he takes that 2 year sabbatical he's been threatening me with for years :)

      Delete
  7. Ah the romance in those lines is just sooo cute :). Can make out your emotions all over the post too you know ;).

    What a lovely lovely description Aparna, I was(am) just smiling through the entire post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finished feeding my daughter an early dinner to the accompaniment of my mother's background comments about how my husband is SO much better at feeding her than I am. Its exactly how you described it; three years ago we were both equally inexperienced as we held our little bundle for the first time, and yet he has just always been so much better at everything than me when it comes to parenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manasi,
      I totally get what you're saying. I just got back from a 4-day work trip while the husband was managing the household - everyone was happy well-fed and rested :) Some people just have the knack. Looks like u lucked out in that respect too :)

      Delete
  9. Am late in coming to you blog. Have enjoyed the posts. Thank you for writing this. I find that my husband is also more tuned to N's moods and needs than I am - despite me being the SAHM. :-) It is nice to be able to leave the child with him, without too many instructions and with the confidence that he will take care better than I do.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)