Kids

Kids

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Mumbai Rhapsody

 
Green mangroves.
Shiny rain-spattered streets.
Chaotic  traffic (so what’s new?).
The Arabian sea lashing against breakers.
The queen’s necklace twinkling away.
Sodium vapour lamps.
The beautiful crumbling buildings in Town.
Marvelling that Regal theatre is still standing.
An avenue of trees in Ballard Estate.
Worli Sea Link looming in the distance.
Walking in the midnight rain at Marine Drive.

Mumbai is most lovely in the rains.
So says someone who doesn’t have to live in Mumbai :)
I am soaking up all the rain and cold (literally and figuratively) in anticipation of my return to 46 degree scorchers in Gurgaon. While on the subject, I'm here to attend and conduct a business skills workshop for wannabe women entrepreneurs from lower-income groups. Three days of intensive teaching and learning with 45 cheerful and enthusiastic girls is proving to be a lot of fun. The only reason I was even able to travel this time was because my parents as always stepped upto the challenge of parenting and grandparenting while I was away. Yet some more people I have to thank for making life that wee bit easier :)

16 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds lovely. I have never properly seen Mumbai. I have only passed by the airport a couple of times on my way somewhere else. Sad, no? I mean, it is one of the liveliest cities in India, and I haven't seen it!

    Good you could get a break. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was on work and really hectic. But glad I could go.

      Delete
  2. you make me miss Mumbai :-( loved the write-up!
    and lady, you seem to be on the wheels :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma...no trips planned for another couple of months :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful update of Mumbai. Loved it. That seems to be an interesting job profile... Glad your parents are there to assist. Have fun while you are there..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me so nostalgic! South Bombay is my fav. of all places in Mumbai. Miss the monsoons in Mumbai. Your line of work is really interesting, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chatty wren! I love south bombay too...actually the only part of the city i really like :)

      Delete
  5. Hello hello. Feel free to remember I live in Mumbai and would be happy to host you a meal!

    Weather is awesome just now as you rightly say. I think the 46 degrees in your post explains why I read so may editorials in today's Indian Express cribbing about how everyone is talking about the monsoons when Delhi is sweltering. I tell you...these Delhites don't like it when anyone else gets a wee bit of attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well i'm sure that's true. Our problems are more important than anyone else's :)
      The trip was super -hectic since I'd crunched 5 days of work into 3.

      Delete
  6. Wow that was picturesque!!
    Chennai is getting rains too :)Though precious little .. But the rain coated roads and the fresh smell of mud even once a while is really welcome after months of frying pan weather ..

    Interesting assignment .. Must be challenging too I bet ..
    I read your career profile from a website I jumped to from your other blog .. To read a post you had written on that site ..
    Very different field .. Do write more about your work if you do not mind .. It seems a very interesting and different line to pursue ..

    And have a wonderful time before returning to the soaring mercury levels .. Hope it consents to go down soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aarthy. I do plan to write about some of the workshops I was a part of - maybe on the oter blog? Will keep you posted :)

      Delete
  7. You have another blog?! What, where, when? Please to share the URL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha :) Its pretty infrequently updated. I'm going to change the name/url...shall keep you posted once I'm done with that. Thanks, for wanting to read :)

      Delete
  8. At last at last at last !!! Managed to load your blog, so sorry for not getting here, catching up on all your posts now.

    Do not talk to me of rain though, I am so depressed at the lack of if :(. Sounds like you're having fun, and loved the poetic first bit too !! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S was in Bangalore last week, he said there was no rain but the weather was still awesome. Now, don't crib! You Bangaloreans...I tell you....:))

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)