Kids

Kids

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Vegetable-paneer cutlets (or somethin' -- need a proper name for these!)

Ever since I got myself a non-stick kuzhi-paniyaram maker a year ago, dishing out afternoon snacks has been a breeze. I love this baby, definitely the single most useful cooking utensil I have ever possessed. For starters, my kids (ok ok one of them!) ADORE kuzhi-paniyarams. Most of the time, most of the idli batter I make at home never gets used to make even a single idli. It gets exhausted just in making KPs and dosas (probably a good thing now that my idlis are coming out like rocks nowadays. In my defence, I learnt how to make idlis using the idli rava instead of boiled rice and I have always got amazing fluffy idlis with it. This rice and urad dal combination mystifies me). Anyways, back to the point. Which is, that the KP-maker is a very versatile piece of work. I have hardly ever made any snacks which involve deep-frying. Both S and I have been health freaks for too long to indulge in more than the occasional pakoda/bajji/cutlet. When we had people over, the most I could bring myself to do was shallow-fry the starters. But with this thingy, I can now indulge in some guilt and oil-free treats and my son will NOT perk up with "Amma, why are you feeding us unhealthy stuff?"!!!
I've dipped paneer, potatoes and green gram dal in batter and cooked in the KP-maker and they've all been pretty good to eat. The recipe below is the one we had yesterday.
First, I made a thick batter of gram flour and rice flour with water, salt and red chilli powder. I cooked peas and sweet corn (in the microwave) and ground them coarsely in the mixer with 1 green chilli, salt and coriander leaves. I grated carrots and and added them to the above mixture and made small balls with my hand. These were dipped in the batter, then coated with home-made bread crumbs. I'd heated up a little oil in each of the compartments of the KP-maker and now I placed these vegetable balls in to cook, turning them over after a minute for even browning. For Ads, I added some paneer to the vegetable mixture separately since Y doesn't care for paneer.
Unfortunately I have no pictures but bar any vegetable cutting/grating, this recipe hardly takes any time. I've stopped buying bread crumbs now that I learnt how ridiculously easy it was to make them at home and we have bread every single day, so I always have a stash of bread slices to work with.
YET - it's still BOILING out here and I was running out to the dining room every minute or so to stand under the fan :) I hope my children remember and are suitably grateful for all the sweating and toiling I have done for them :(

10 comments:

  1. sounds super yummy - i'll bookmark this and the pizza post earlier for things to do when I am twiddling my thumbs at home post October :). I see Saravana stores delivers in the US too - globalization at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...sounds so yummy..good recipes- this and the previous one.
    looks like I need to buy a KP maker now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uma, you should, esp with a toddler at home who will be hungry all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuvika, I think u shd just be able to buy it in the Indian stores in the US too if you can't take one with you. Yup I was surprised to see saravana stores' website too - is it the same one in ranganathan st?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you've given me a snack and a lunch box recipe on the same day - brlliant!!
    This is one item (KP Maker) I have always wanted to buy and check out, but wasn't sure if I could make use of it effectively - you've given me hope (and an excuse to buy it of course ;)) !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aparna: u shd, its pretty useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, never realised you could do other stuff with the paniyaram tava! will try this one out, sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have one but have not experimented besides adding veggies/egg to the dosai maavu. Shall be trying this one out, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Choxbox, sangitha - someone mentioned that you could make balls out of green gram dal (cooked and coarsely ground) and then use them in the paniyaram maker. That's my next snack - so healthy!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)