Kids

Kids

Thursday 18 August 2011

Roundup- a third of a year in Gurgaon

A friend whom I met up for coffee the other day (a coffee shop in a mall, where else *rolls eyes*) asked me how I like Gurgaon, and have I become a Gurgaon-ite yet. Nope, I haven't, and I hope I never shall (in the context of the article and in terms of how the writer defines a Gurgaonite). I gave my friend a very honest answer. If you move around as much as we do, you tend not to be too fussy. Indeed, you simply cannot afford to be because then you'd just be miserable. Having said that, both S and I believe that when you move to a new place, you need to go in with a positive vibe and truly believing that it's a city/town/country that you will like, enjoy and explore. (Isn't that true of any new undertaking in life?). If you go in determined to be happy, chances are, you will be. Moving from the US to Noida wasn't easy for us and it wouldn't have been easy even if we had moved to UP from our last-but-one home, Bangalore. The gulf that separates a cosmopolitan city in South India from a city on the borderline of the Hindi heartland is very very large. On the surface, it all looks similar and familiar but people's attitudes and preferences are very different and one has to adjust accordingly. From that aspect, Gurgaon is a much more easier city to fit into. For example, English is much more widely spoken here than in Noida. The large number of MNCs have attracted a large pan-Indian crowd and in our complex, for instance, you hear snatches of every language -Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Haryanvi, Hindi, Punjabi, not to mention some Cantonese and Korean!
Where we live is very central to all the shops/malls, office complexes and we have 2 metro stations at a half-kilometre walking distance. Every couple of days, I end up with a long list of errands and to-dos and I enjoy walking to our local market, just a 7-8 min walk away. Our grocery store, stationery store, drycleaner, vegetable vendor and tailor are all there and I can't tell you how much I enjoy going into each and every shop. I love shopping local, in small businesses (have I said earlier how much I detest malls? :)))) so this gives me a huge thrill! In the US, S and I would often argue about where to shop. I preferred buying supplies at the weekend farmer's markets but S would always like to shop at Safeway or Target (economies of scale=lower prices). At Noida too, because of where we lived, I had to get groceries delivered home or else drive to the supermarket which just didn't give me that local flavour.
I have recently discovered a walking group, a running group and a drum circle in the city. None of which I have the least intention of joining but what it proves is, one needs to just look a little below the surface and any city can and does yield up pleasant surprises. Yes, Gurgaon is hot and humid and freezing in turns, traffic is chaotic, people are crazy (!!!) and the infrastructure -- I could talk about it if it existed! But well, it's our home for the next few years and all the complaining I'm going to do about it will pertain to the weather only. I reserve that one inalienable right!

PS: Am I blogging too much? I have so much to say. If a lot of it is drivel, ah well...it'll be fun to read it all after a couple of years :)

12 comments:

  1. yeah Gurgaon people are crazy! you got that right :) Again, where do you live?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep going..there's nothing such as too much blogging..
    some cities just make you feel at home even if you're there for a short while whereas some can remain alien even after ages. But as you said, it is upto us to blend into a different culture and make it our own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish I had your kind of life - much as I feel anxious about change sometimes I really love the feeling of a new place, new experiences, new people, culture etc. I so badly want to experience India. I feel as if I can't even cope in India - that kind of feeling. But when I read posts from bloggers in India I just wish I could live in India. But my situation is such that there is no compelling reason for all of us to move. You have a very good attitude when it comes to moving from place to place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Infrastructure is one thing we should just keep my mouth shut on because even if we talk there is no one to hear that. Just a 5 minute drive stretch takes about 45 minute in the volvo BMTC bus in Bangalore since they are building a flyover one for going and the other for coming on a 4 lane road. We had no issues before but now the wait looks eternal what with govt changing etc. It is just going on for months. Standing in crowded buses to get to work and home late in the morning and evening is such a pain. But the brighter side of life is whenever it gets done, things might happen quick. What else can you say. Also moving from US to Bangalore did not look as bad as thought. Tell me about the local shopping, i just love that too, except that there is no footpath at places, but love the fresh vegetables the street vendors sell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uma - thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noon - I've been a nomad all my life, except for a few years in high school/college when we stayed put in 1 place. As a child we used to move every 2-3 years. I've studied in 11 schools! After getting married, the longest we've stayed in 1 city has been 3.5 years. Now it has reached a point where we get restless after 3 years :)
    You know, India is tough to live in, esp for someone who's not lived there for a long time (like u). But if u ever moved, I'm sure u'll cope just fine (we all do!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sumana, the metro should make things better, no? Have they planned the routes well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Echoing Uma :). There's no such thing!

    And so loving your upbeat outlook to embracing a new place - wish I could be like that. I am a bit of a stick-in-the-mud and am so well settled where I am that any mention of moving brings out my worst side. So I have complete admiration to your making the best of moving. And Yay for small businesses from me too - don't enjoy the Mall type places except for an occasional timepass visit :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally with you re moves!

    Have a ton of friends from college now staying in gurgaon. next trip to delhi, i'm hopping over to check it all out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey the lil' boy's bday seems a coupla days away...when's it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Choxbox: Yup am discovering new things in Ggn all the time, will be happy to provide u with a list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uma: It's today:) he is finally 6.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)