Kids

Kids

Tuesday 9 August 2011

2007 revisited

First, allow me to indulge in some reminiscing. A recollection of the happiest year of my life. Funnily enough, it happened after I became a mom...who would've thought?? :P We moved to the US and I fully intended to look for a job there, after a couple of months of playing with my toddler boy and enjoying his company. What I did not know then was that, I would start having so much fun with him that all plans to work and gain some US experience would fly out of the window. S would say, with a slight hint of jealousy, that Ads and I were (in his words) "on your own trip". And we were. We would be soundly asleep while S left for work around 7 or 8 am. We would wake up, eat a leisurely breakfast and by 10 be outside in the sunshine and clean air, playing in the park. I joined a moms club and the week was filled with kid-friendly events and playdates. Our social life rocked! We'd come home, I'd do a spot of cooking, feed Ads, wait for him to wake up from his nap and in the evening we'd be off again! In 6 months, I knew more about the Bay Area than my hardworking corporate-slaving spouse :)
My defining emotion of that entire year is contentment. I read a lot, ate a lot (put on a lot of weight too!), and enjoyed every moment spent with my child. It was a welcome change from the last few years of work politics and trying to establish myself in a new career, a difficult pregnancy and the challenges associated with being a working mom. There was no past and no future, only the present. 
Now, I have that feeling again, now that the last 2 years of work, work, work, moving, moving, moving and  so many adjustments seem to be behind us all. I feel more settled, more able to focus on the important things and not multi-task as much as I have been doing. That same old feeling of contentment. At the same time, I'm also aware that this is a temporary phase of calm since I have already started (in a languid no-urgency sense of the word!) preparing myself for joining the workforce again. Updating the CV, reaching out to old colleagues, adding new connections on Linkedin and so on. I'm only looking for a part-time, work-from-home assignment and I will hold out for as long as it takes to find something of that nature, in my chosen field. It's too late in my career to second-guess my own choices, be anxious about my prospects and jump into something just because it's available now
I'm not nervous about whether I'll find a job. I'm sure it will happen, when it happens and I know I'll know the right one when it comes along :) In the meantime, it feels good to soak (sometimes literally!) in the languidness of Delhi's monsoon (which is still playing hide-and-seek with us Guragon-wasis), and indulge in some 2007-like enjoyments with my little kiddies.
Speaking of little kiddies, we found during our pediatrician's visit last weekend that it is Ads who is underweight and Y (about whose size-zeroisms I have lamented loud and often in this blog) is sitting pretty at the 50% percentile for weight! (Good improvement, huh?) Now when Ads is already a good eater, where do I improve his diet? We've been asked to up the butter/ghee quotient. Ads is helping me by ensuring I add an extra dollop of ghee to his rice/rotis and don't shortchange him :) Of late, since they are learning about food groups at school, he has been annoying me by loudly examining and critiquing the protein/carb/fat/vitamin content of every meal!

12 comments:

  1. hey what a sweet post!
    SO happy that you were able to spend time with Ads and too without feeling guilty about not working. A balance in attitude is rare..
    And lol about Ads analysing the food-quotient..:-)
    Good luck with the job hunt..and as you said you will find the right one when the time is right..till then enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. + on Uma. BTW, whats your preferred line of work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are real lucky to get to have that kind of phase in life. Where you thought you need a break and it happened the right way and have it as a memory as well. Glad to hear you are settled down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow 2007 sounds great and it's wonderful that you're getting to relive it!! I think it's great that you're looking for work on your own terms, and don't have an issue with waiting until you get exactly what you want :). All the best !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uma - I hardly ever know what I want, but I am often very clear about what I DON"T want. The difference is critical. I DO NOT want, after 5-10 years, wondering when and how my kids grew up. I don't want even a tiny amt of guilt or regret. So call it balance or what u will, that's how it is...makes decision-making easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sumana, yes I was lucky to get that break. Truly lucky.
    Aparna - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life_refactored: Gosh, someday pl illuminate what ur name means :)
    Anyway- back to ur question:) I prefer to work in CSR (corporate social responsibility) and non-profit consulting. I'm pretty sure part-time/flexi opps in this field are very limited. The irony is, delhi is probably the best place for this kind of work in the country, IF i am ready to return full-time. Maybe in a few years!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. right you are..its useful to know wht you dont want too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time here. My son and your son are about the same age. Your son will soon be six right...my daughter is older than your daughter. Nice post. I am going through this relaxed feeling during their summer holidays mainly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noon: Thanks for commenting! Its funny that I also discovered ur blog only a couple of days ago and the first post I read was about your son who turned 6! I'll post a comment on ur blog right now :)
    Oh, and welcome and do drop in again :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you want to know the meaning of my name... it does not represent a meaning. It represents a wish.
    I wish for my life to be factored so that its organized, simple, easy to maintain, efficient, with minimal and solvable problems.
    Definition of refactoring is "Refactoring is the process of changing a system in such a way that it does not alter the external behavior and yet improves its internal structure for good."
    I know you are asking yourself..Idhu thevaya.. and you are welcome..:)
    mail me at life.refactored@gmail.com we will continue.. on the CSR bit

    ReplyDelete
  12. L_R - thanks for the clarification :)
    Sending u an email now.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)