Kids

Kids

Monday 1 August 2011

Mini-pizzas

This is a variation of the pizzas that I usually make, except that calling it a pizza is a bit of a stretch of the imagination, being a pizza in looks only! BUT - big advantage - it's very quick and handy especially for the lunch-box meals, not to mention supremely healthy. You do however need to get hold of some whole-wheat pita bread for this, and some hummus (store-bought or home-made) would be great too.
So here's what you do. Take a bunch of veggies that don't need much cooking. I chose red and yellow bell-peppers, zucchini, spinach and carrots, all shredded finely. Mix them well along with salt, pepper and any Italian herbs you have. Cut each pita into 4 and carefully pull off the tops from each slice. On each slice, spread some hummus (or any butter/spread), layer the veggies and sprinkle some cheese/paneer on top. Bake for 2-3 minutes at 180 degrees and you're done. If the pitas have pockets, another idea would be to use the veggies plus cheese as stuffing and then bake.
This picture was clicked just before I put the pizzas into bake mode.


This is what they look like after baking.

This is one no-brainer recipe and next time I plan to use pesto sauce as a spread - that should be yummy! 

4 comments:

  1. Yummy..look like tortillas in the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was already hungry, and now i'm craving cheese - not good for me ;). But great for the kids - I am always looking for new lunch box ideas so a big Thank you for this one :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, aparna! With a fussy eater, I am at my wits end what to give them everyday. I'll pass on any links I find.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)