Kids

Kids

Thursday 3 January 2013

My parenting scorecard in 2012 and the year gone by

My report card as a parent in 2012 is out! How has it been - well you can see my marks for yourself! I did not make very good grades. It was an interesting exercise, first to figure out what parameters were important to me as a measure of how well I do as a mom, and then grading myself honestly. Then I had to explain the criteria to Ads and get him to rate me. Not sure of how much he really understood; for example, "self-esteem" is not a concept he is familiar with and I had to elaborate. I think he got about 80% of it and the grades he gave me are more or less in line with what I expected him to think.
I'm glad 2012 is over. It has been an exhausting roller-coaster year just in terms of the sheer amount of activity we crammed into it.
The highs:
1. I didn't have to move house!! Yes that's a big plus for someone who moves almost every year :)
2. I started work, first part-time then rapidly transitioned to full-time. There has been lots of learning and a huge sense of purpose in doing work that has deep impact.
3. S got a huge break at work and is now doing something pretty exciting, and that makes me a very proud wife, more so because I feel that's where he belongs. We went to the same b-school but I've always felt he is leagues ahead in terms of intellectual ability. (There, I've said it! Can't take it back!)
4. The kids have progressed well in school especially Ads who has leapfrogged in many areas. Y has also become a lot more confident and vocal and her language skills (Hindi & English) have shown a definite upswing in the last 2 months.
5. We travelled like maniacs this year. 9 holidays, not counting our summer breaks in Chennai and Bangalore and work-related travel that took us to some very interesting places. S and I managed a first - a kid-free week in gorgeous Himachal and we hope to have a couple holiday like that every year.
The lows - well every high comes with it's lows doesn't it? :) I'm not complaining because the not-so-great bits have just been an obvious byproduct of some of the good things that happened. S's new job meant that he had to shuttle weekly between Bangalore and Delhi and so we only had him for the weekends. Being a single parent through the week and having to juggle a demanding full-time job and two kids has meant that I am constantly exhausted. The exercise routine has fallen by the wayside and there are days I am sleeping for the same number of hours as when the kids were infants. It has done nothing for my sanity, patience, health or looks, and I've complain often enough to the husband that I've aged more than a few years in the last 6-7 months.
Like I said, 2012 been a roller-coaster ride. While it's been mostly good and unfailingly exciting, I am ready to look forward to 2013, which will hopefully be a calmer twelve months with a lot more family time. Sometimes I feel that the year gone by just have us a sneak peak - a template of how life is going to be with growing children and increasing responsibility (parental, filial and financial).
There are only 2 resolutions for 2013.
1. Get more sleep.
2. Cut back on work. I honestly can't take this hard-charging routine for much longer. Ideally, figure out something with reduced work hours and/or work-from-home.
Should not be hard, should it? :)
Happy New Year, everybody!

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new year resolutions! :)

    Your year does sound stressful, but exciting. :) 9 holidays, apart from trips home and work-related ones? I am jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was too much even by our standards, our friends and relatives know that we travel a lot. But it was definitely a big plus of 2012, that we got to visit so many new places.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Aparna, seriously hat's off, you've done all this, wow! I can understand it can take a toll....Wish you luck towards achieving a more balanced schedule. And you do not even mention blogging in your list:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chatty wren.
      The blogging has been relaxation, that's why I did not mention it..:)

      Delete
  3. Awesome Aparna! I accidentally came across ur blog and have spent the last few nights, after the kids have gone to sleep in catching up with all your posts. I am where you were 4 years back and it's therapeutic for me to read all your experiences. Happy 2013 and will be tuning in often to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anon. I guess moms and dads everywhere have the same experiences and feelings. Happy new year to you as well and take care!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I am tired looking at your year! You are one of those supermoms I would someday Like to be :) Good Luck with your resolutions and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sirisha! I realized that being a supermom is hard and unhappy work :)

      Delete
    2. To clarify: Not that I was a supermom, the last year has put paid to my aspirations to be one :)

      Delete
  5. If I were you I would only be proud! Full time work and managing so many holidays and getting the kids to do so well...incredible!
    I don't even want to ask the kids to grade me - for yelling - deffo big negative marks am sure!
    So much to do and so much to improve on all the time! Sigh! I will sign off there! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! The yelling!! IT would the single item that would get me a huge no. of negative marks...thankfully I did not ask Ads to rate me on that :)

      Delete
  6. Yeah, the sleep is on my list of things to do more of in 2013 too. And figuring out some way back into the working world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive :) Here's to a lovely year ahead, wishing you the Sleeping Beauty blessing!

    Yayyy... finding you here is truly serendipitous (don't have my chances to use that word). Super :) Will connect on FB.

    Cheers
    Meera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks meera, good to connect with you as well! Serendipitious :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)