Kids

Kids

Tuesday 29 January 2013

And so it begins....

So I've been working with Ads on the Math and Cyber Olympiad worksheets (IMO and ICO) for the past 1 year. It has not been intensive, just a couple of worksheets every other weekend. Considering we have been travelling every other weekend as well, it does not amount to much (though I'm sure Ads will beg to differ!). Now the thing is that since we were particular to admit him in a low-pressure academic environment, there's not much that he's been taught in Math uptil now (Grade 2). Much being a relative term of course. He can read the time, and do simple addition and subtraction. They just started multiplication tables. Anything other than these is a bit of stretch frankly; which is perfectly fine until you run into a kid from PSBB (Chennai) or Singapore or Hong Kong - then watch my (temporary) palpitations!!!
So anyway, I quite like the IMO worksheets and the exam pattern because it's a bit of a stretch, but not too much. There are 50 questions to be done in 90 minutes - it's not a big deal but it's no walk in the park either. Some of the questions are a little tricky so you need to know the underlying concepts rather than just rely on speed and arithmetical ability. Ads' school enters only 3rd grade upwards for the Olympiads but they register their students for the National Science Talent Search Exam from Grade 1 upwards. I duly registered Ads. Half of the questions in the NSTSE are on Science so his level of interest was also higher than for IMO.
Now even before he went to write the test, I was sure his performance would be average. I know my son is exceptionally bright and curious. He can talk to you about the Industrial Revolution, WWII, mythology (Greek, Roman and Indian), the race to the moon, obscure dinosaurs, prehistoric creatures and the top 10 endangered species, to name a few of his current favourite topics. I'm not bragging, but his breadth of knowledge relative to his age is staggering. It's a different matter that he still spills more food on the ground than goes into his mouth, and the other day he did not eat his pasta lunch because Appa forgot to pack a fork and he was too silly to think of alternative solutions! When we pointed out the ten things he could have done, not to mention eaten the damn lunch with his fingers, his eyes filled with large tears :)
Anyways, I digress. S and I had a heated argument post the test, when I was correcting the answer sheet and telling Ads where he'd gone wrong. There were a lot of silly mistakes and nothing hets me up like carelessness. He got so many answers wrong in Science, which is supposed to be his strong suit. Being lazy and forgetting to cross-check your answers or worse, misreading the question and getting the answer wrong, is unacceptable to me. The husband said:
He's in Grade 2. Give him a break.
Don't turn into Tiger mom.
It's important to get concepts right. He can be tops in speed and calculation but are we testing what he knows or only interested in what he scores?
The only thing important right now is NOT to destroy his love of learning. By drilling him in Math, maybe you are doing just that.
It hurt a little bit. My point was only that while I agree with whatever S said (and hotly contest that I am turning into Tiger mom...does he even know what a tiger mom is???? They are the folks that come to baby ballet and lie down on the floor with their babies and do all the ballet steps while me and all the other babies look on, bemused), in the real world you need to have a good grasp of concepts and speed and intellectual curiosity/desire to learn. 
The one thing that Amy Chua pointed out in her book that really resonated with me is that if you allow kids to do whatever they want, all they'll do is watch video games and eat junk food all day. Is that ideal? Obviously not. I approached the competitive exams in much the same way. Ads will not like it, but he'll have to lump it.
I realize that, for parents, achieving that balance is crucial and akin to walking a fine line. S probably thinks I may jump to the wrong side of the line very soon! (He has no idea how very far I am from it). In all this tussle, the only certainty is that we will be revisiting this topic many many more times over the next few years until my kids graduate.

29 comments:

  1. Wow! But isnt 2nd grade too early?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm no doubt we end up fighting for the same reasons here it being asset and a few extra curricular classes. I need to read Amy Chua's book yet. Heard a lot of reviews on it.
    Silly mistakes and spelling mistakes ticks me off big time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read my review too :) http://advaithandyukta.blogspot.in/2012/02/battle-hymn-of-tiger-mother-review.html

      Delete
  3. Encouraging/motivating a child to give it his best and pushing him to a point where he'd lose the love of learning is the fine line we all so cautiously tread. Sometime silly mistakes are made due to pressure to do well, pressure to please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sometimes we push the child to do things that we were never able to achieve...I've seen so many parents do this.

      Delete
  4. :)

    Interesting and thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aparna my sis would so agree with you :) She spends quite a bit of time coaching my nephew .. She says the same thing .. If you allow him to do what he wants, he would just play all day ..

    And PSBB is actually a low pressure environment .. You have no exams till class 3 .. And the teachers are quite a cool lot .. The school gives very good exposure and opportunities .. Its up to you to use it or not .. Nobody is pushed for anything whatsoever ..

    Talking about pressure, my cousin has put her daughter in a famous school in mylapore(cant recollect the name) that offers fidji coaching as well .. And believe me, she's paying 4 lakhs for class 9 to 12 totally .. Imagine handling a CBSE school syllabus along with an intensive coaching class!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm....I've heard a diff take on PSBB from 3 other sets of parents...so can't comment on that.
      FIITjee coaching now starts from std 6! Obviously there are a lot of takers for that as well.
      Incidentally fees in chennai are way below fees in any other part of the country. Whenever I go to chennai and meet friends with kids, I halve the fees I am paying for my kids, and even that elicits shocked gasps from them! But the coaching classes were always part of life weren't they? I graduated from 12th way back in the 90s and even then my peers were going for IIT coaching plus CBSE tutions in addition to schoolwork - many of them from 9th and 10th onwards till 12th.

      Delete
    2. Oh its FIITJee is it? Glad am finished with school .. Even back then there were IIT coaching classes that started from class 9 and all ..
      And yes I had a bandwagon of brainy guys in class who went for IIT coaching .. But the good part is they used to come for the Maths exam, ask about the portions half an hour before the exam, browse through the book after prayer assembly, finish the 3 hr paper in 2hrs and score a cool 100 on 100 !!
      So the intensive and in deapth coaching does help ease out the pressure on the school side .. But all this holds good only if are blessed with real good brains like that and a temperament that can take pressure and manage time really well .. And I suspect you are part of that lot .. Right huh?
      Had I been put through all that, am sure I would had a nervous breakdown :)

      Delete
    3. Actally aarthy, I was the only sole kid in my 12th batch of abt 150 students who did not sit for a single engineering entrance exam...got a lot of grief and ridicule for that. As tho being an engineer was the only reason u took science in high school!!! The attitude foxed and continues to fox me even now. Now I am so glad I resisted that insane pressure back in high school.

      Delete
  6. Bravo for saying it out loud I say! Our kids need to enter the rat race (at least I have no plans of giving them undue advantages in any other way), and they might as well be prepared for it.

    Need to troll about the Math Olympiad thingie here, I thought it was still a long way to go and have not checked it at all :P

    LOL on the pasta thing, poor Ads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup check it out, they have a very active fb page, will send u the link.

      Delete
  7. Hey!U got me a bit confused here - PSBB, Mylapore, etc - Chennai - right? I thought you were based out of Gurgaon...Am I missing something? And on Math & worksheets, I'm convinced I'm the least ambitious Mom on earth on that front :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey...yes I am in Gurgaon but my hometown is Chennai. Have a lot of friends there including many who studied in PSBB and whose kids are now in PSBB...so it had brand name recall :) That's all.

      Delete
  8. Interesting post! I think as parents we have our expectations from kids which may not necessarily always be met. My husband tells me the same thing when I start to get impatient with Big G because I know she can get it but is plain distracted or acting up whilst learning. Agree with what you say about the real world:) For the moment, Big G and me are grappling with basic addition and subtraction because here they learn in a different way, maybe I will do a post on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I'm sure its quite different out there. Out here they pole-vaulted over multiplication and long-division, just gave an intro in 2nd grade and now that the year is about to end, guess they will do it more intensively in 3rd grade. Do a post - will be interesting to read.

      Delete
  9. Thought-provoking post !
    I am a mother of 7+ kid and I am in a constant state of conflict about whether I should be content with his progress in math this far or pushing him further to his limits to match up to absolute mastery at his grade. And statements like the one below awaken the tiger-mom in me and needless to say, arguments between the husband and me are the only end-result.

    -Nikhila
    ==============================================
    The original article is
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/business/chinas-ambitious-goal-for-boom-in-college-graduates.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

    and this was one of the comments
    I am a science professor at a top US research university, and my colleagues and I all know that the majority of the best applicants to all the science and engineering PhD programs come from Asia. If not for government and university funding policies that favor U.S. students, the PhD programs would have a lot more Asians, and be a lot more productive too. It is no wonder, because our own undergraduate program produces students that are not competitive to enter our PhD program. Why? Students come into universities very behind on math/science subjects already, and generally take as few of these as possible, and then fail en masse in the required ones -- I'm talking about undergrads who are only admitted if they are at least in the top 9% of CA high school students. It's shocking how few of the U.S. applicants to our PhD program have even taken basic math like calculus, linear algebra, and statistics, while applicants from Asian countries have taken several more years of advance!
    d mathematics -- and this discrepancy gets worse *every year*. Math is the language of science, it is not emphasized nearly enough in this country. Children learn from a very young age to fear math instead of embrace it. I myself had math teachers in middle/high school who had such low expectations, and then faculty/TA's in a top university (MIT) who constantly coddled us and skipped over all the math as though it's a disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Nikhila. In this situation its hard to be balanced I feel...however being a tiger mom need not necessarily yield a better result...this is how I console myself :)

      Delete
  10. Howdy Aparna - I go through the same exact argument with my husband for just correcting the silliest of errors in KB's homework or tests. He leaves out questions unanswered, answers "what" when they ask for "Who" etc...his teacher says he retains so much info in his head when she teaches and hence has a tough time processing all his thoughts and responding w/in the period with a concise paragraph to be finished w/in the allotted time. Both his first grade and second grade teachers say he is exceptionally bright etc etc but I see so many kids like him - very very bright - so I don't honestly see what they see - but in this rat race all I see is that the other "exceptionally bright" kid I see does not have this problem that KB has in class. I am still at a loss as to where to draw the line...I did not like pressure growing up, I do not want to do that to my children. So each time I palpitate and gravitate towards pushing him, I pull myself back and try to let him be. Life is long...as long as he is healthy, mentally sound (not messed up with a feeling of never feeling like he has done enough) and self assured when he is an adult I will feel like I did my best job as a mother. I know that he is bright enough to find his way - I keep telling myself that I have to have faith.
    BTW - what is Fidjee? FIITjee etc? And math olympiad etc is offered at school? Man you guys do so much more! I am so confused - my friend who returned back from India says her kids at PSBB had such an easy time in school compared to school here. That there is so much more thinking work to do and lot more parental involvement needed to help them out with homework projects here. But I feel that kids in India do a lot more academically. I don't know really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the same boat as you, noon.
      Btw see this link: http://www.fiitjee.com/Little%20Genie%20One%20Year%20Foundation%20ProgramRCP6.aspx
      They had such a big ad in the delhi newspapers last month...and I fell off my chair!

      Delete
  11. BTW - am so proud of Ads. He is really such an impressive kid! I feel good when I read about how curious he is, how much he takes in...it is just miraculous to me. Children who at such an young age take in so much all on their own! I feel as if I see God in all these small moments! That is my own personal feeling of god! Children esp make me feel that way...
    I was so moved when I read about that Auto guy's daughter who topped the CA exam. It is just unbelievable - that kind of drive and dedication in the midst of little resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally noon, I wonder whether OUR kids will have that kind of drive. Our kids have so much already, only adversity gives birth to that kind of ambition to do more and reach for the unreachable.

      Delete
  12. That level of drive - I really doubt my kids have it! I really don't know how to make them get that kind of motivation to do well. My husband says I should not expect anything from them - only then they will do something that they feel passionate about...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The one thing I have learned this year is to keep a close eye on what the kids are doing and how. Somehow, "the mother butterfly lays eggs on the back side of the leaf" does not cut it for me. Cute and all but hey, at some point we have to make a start on the right kind of language. Science here, not creative writing.

    The older one did the olympiads this year and I found out how much she didn't know only when we coached her for it. If this is Tiger Mom, then so be it. Not knowing the fundamentals isn't on. Some things, only practice can make perfect, multiplication tables being one such area. Sometimes, I think in this drive to keep pressure low, we've thrown the baby out with the bathwater...no rote whatsoever? Seriously?! Do kids not learn facts then?

    We put the kids in Abacus recently after being all purist on 'no shortcuts'. One class gave daughter the confidence that a couple of years of a certain system took away..she came back roundeyed and interested, saying 'wow, LOOK at this! Amma, this really works. EVERY time!' :-D

    Have to do what it takes. Nicely, politely, sensitively for sure. But what it takes to keep learning and confidence in the self's ability to learn and do as high as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emphatically agree, Sangitha. Thanks for your thoughts - helps to learn from more experienced and hopefully wiser moms and dads :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)