Kids

Kids

Monday 27 February 2012

Updates - Feb

There's been a lot going on here at Casa Mommyland. Work has picked up a good amount of steam and I have two new blogging assignments (both are paid - yay! And one is work-related). S and I have been trying to sort through a lot of admin and personal stuff. After the kids are asleep, we sit down on the dining table and  get going. That's how romantic we have become :)
The kids break for their first summer break in March (mid-march in Ads' case and end of March for Y) and they have 10-15 days off at that time. An SOS call has been sent out to Chennai for grandparental assistance. Initially, I just wanted someone to come over to watch the kids during their break, when I was at work. But soon, I had another, more pressing reason for help - we are moving again!!!
Yes, yes....we are being turned out of our lovely apartment. We have some time - a couple of months if we need it - but we have moved house 5 times in the last 5 years and this time, I just want to get it over with. We have started hunting for a place in the same complex, and hopefully something will come our way in the next few weeks. There aren't too many units like the one we live in, so fingers crossed!
Moves or no, the summer is here (well- almost) and I am in full vacation-planning mode. (Psssttt....not that I take account of the seasons while planning holidays...:)) Our vacation theme for this year is Exploring India through short and sasta holidays :). There are 2 long weekends coming up - Holi in March and Good Friday in April. We are going to Alwar (Rajasthan) in March, before the summer heat descends and in April, I was looking to go to the Kumaon region in Uttarakhand. I did all the research only to realize that neither train tickets nor hotel nights were available. Fully booked! Clearly there are many more freaky travel planners like me out there. We might still have managed to find the odd hotel or homestay someplace but the train waitlist was a real constraint since S does not want to drive there. Our Mussoorie (it took us 12 hours to navigate the 6-hour journey) and Jaipur road trips (7 and 4 hours respectively) last year have put us off long drives, completely.
So now, there is much discussion and argument in the household about where to go.
Not to forget that with all this happening, both the kids have been down and out with a nasty infection of the tonsils. If they absolutely had to fall ill, I would have preferred them to do it together instead of one by one, thereby making me take off more days than I can afford to. But who listens to me in this family???? No one! :(

11 comments:

  1. good luck on the holiday planning.....go to Dalhousie...our trip there this january was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the trains. We've been through that and now I am happy to say that we planned our April Good Friday trip last months (never, ever have we been so good about it before!!) But, we are going to Almora and you can't drive there from Delhi (I mean you can but you'd lose your mind and have had a fight on the way!!) So, believe it or not, we booked the train when it was still available! (gosh this is sooooooo unlike us). So, have that to look forward to. First time in the train with all the kids (we're quite a group - three kids, two maids and us!)

      Hopefully you'll find something good. Look at the Holiday IQ site, if you haven't already. It a decent one..

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reco crabbymommy - we booked chandigarh+kasauli :) Almora- kya hai wahaan? Have to check it out :)

      Delete
    3. @Sumanya: Yup dalhousie is on our list!

      Delete
  2. All the best for the tonsilitis dealings ! Must be crazy in the middle of your work schedule, but i'm sure you'll find a way :).

    I've been very hesitant with planning anything this summer, except for that Kabini weekend (just a day actually). I'm more thinking much in advance for the Dussehra holidays since some of the places we want to go to require 6 month advance booking! The heat and hubby's bussy schedules have killed my summer holiday enthusiasms :(.

    Have fun on your vacations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention .. I'm so J at your blogging assignments ;) !

      Delete
    2. A friend recommended some awesome places to stay in chikmaglur. If u like, I'll send u the links. That is, if you are planning to do something within the state.
      Planning for Dussehra!! You put me to shame :)

      Delete
  3. All the best for your holiday planning! It sounds so much fun! I so want a holiday now!

    Children falling ill - they always chose the most inconvenient times, don't they :)

    And congratulations on your work picking up steam.. I will need to start looking for work, as soon as we settle down in India..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Smitha...and there I have been drooling over your holiday and snow pics :)
      You guys moving in the summer right?

      Delete
  4. yay for the holiday planning and blogging assignments( am J too of this)...psst..am also planning a major one..will let you all know soon on my blog..:-)

    All the best for the house hunt..oh I'd hate to move so often, esp if the current place is my idea of an ideal home..:-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh...can't wait to hear the (blogging) news....:)) and thanks..we are still hunting :(

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)