Kids

Kids

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Cat out of the bag

I'm that mom. You know, the crazy one who's mostly unrecognizable without the big backpack or baby bag. The latter which contains all the stuff required to sit out a Richter 7 earthquake :) My Virgo instincts found full expression once I started going out and about with a baby. Disinfecting wipes, diapers, snacks, change of clothes, plastic covers, ziploc bags, medicines, bandages - you name it and it's there in THE BAG! While I like being this prepared for spit-ups, hunger pangs, wet and soiled clothes and dirty restaurant tables, I can't wait to ditch the bag and start lugging around something more elegant and classy. I thought that my ditch-the-bag moment would come in a year or so, max. Witness my surprise and disappointment when we visited one of S's cousins over the weekend and I found the cousin's wife (mom of two kids ages 8 and 12) lugging around a similar bag, brimming with all kinds of sports equipment, 2 water bottles and snacks. 
I mentioned this fact to her. She nodded sagely and said "There'll always be a bag. Only the stuff inside will change." Grrr. 
That was the day that I bravely left the bag at home while we stepped out. Within an hour Y had soiled her hands and face (we needed wipes, didn't have them), Ads was dying of hunger inspite of a heavy meal just before we stepped out (we needed snacks, didn't have them) and there were mosquitoes everywhere (we needed Odomos, didn't have it). Mr. Murphy, I know you're out there, you don't have to prove it to me! 

3 comments:

  1. Waaaahhhh!! You JUST rained on my parade, you know that? I buy all these beautiful bags and the husband is constantly asking me, 'why so many bags when you only carry the baby bag around?' and I always tell him, 'For later'. And now you say it might never happen?? WAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try doing that once in a while just to be a little relaxed and learn my lessons right there. But then I have really stopped carrying all the stuff and do so mostly when we head out of station etc. Otherwise it is just 2 water bottles and a box of snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I can happily say that I have discarded that bag :) I still carry a large bag - but a stylish one - with only essentials like a pack of antibacterial wipes. Water/snacks - if daughter gets that hungry, we will just have to go to the nearest cafe. I cannot lug around snacks and drinks any more! And now that she is in school, I get a lot of time to go around carrying my smaller bags :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)