Kids

Kids

Thursday 2 December 2010

Hit or be hit?

Ads complained to me a couple of times about how some kid (a year younger than him) was hitting him on the school bus. This same kid used to forcibly take his water bottle away and drink from it, leaving Ads with no water in the afternoons. I told Ads to take a firm line with this kid. I'm not sure whether he did so, but I had also told the bus didi to keep an eye out for such goings-on, and the problem seemed to get resolved.
Contrast this with a conversation I had with Y's class teacher recently. She says "Y has been hitting other children. This is a phase, many kids go through it. You should talk about it at home, make her understand through the medium of stories that it is not okay to hit or push other children. We will do the same here at school." I was like - WHAT???? How did my children get to be so different? One is getting hit (and bearing it like a saint, I must add) and the other one is pushing poor kids around with no provocation. Every afternoon, Y comes back from school with some story about "So-and-so pulled someone's shirt, someone pulled so-and-so's hair". What is clear is that one of the actors in this drama is herself, but with her current lack of knowledge on pronoun usage, I am not sure whether she is acting or reacting! (Sure hope it's the latter, I am so not looking forward to the next PTM!)
Then I stumbled upon this article. Boy, did it explain a lot!

6 comments:

  1. when i was abt Ads' age there was a girl in our neighborhood who used to bash me up resulting in me coming home in tears so many days. One fine day, dad had had enuff, he said u hit her back and don;t come home crying - it seems I was just waiting for that instruction cos i did hit her back pretty well and never again came home crying ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course.. he is an Indian.. i meant.. to say.. he is now... er...Indian?? @#@**&. I'll stop..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice observations there - and interesting article that you pointed to too!
    This is a common thought in our household where both my children have such different personalities that I always wondered how the same combination of genes could turn out so differently. Maybe slightly closer to understanding that now ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your worries (back when you moved down) about how your innocent lil lamb will survive in this country of foxes .. has been put to rest now ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still worried about one innocent lamb! The other one is a fox herself :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)