Kids

Kids

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Coming up for air

I would have blogged earlier but my laptop gave up on me and amidst the battery of chores that remain to be accomplished when trying to settle down in a new home/city, I've been on the phone with Dell tech support a lot! 
So. Here we are. A crazy couple of weeks of work and more work. A week at the hotel until our goods arrived, move-in cleaning of the new apartment, unpacking the cartons and getting the house in shape while simultaneously dealing with the Bangalore weather (Hot!! I feel cheated!) and follow ups with all the vendors and service providers we need. Think carpenters, plumbers, electricians, the water purifier guy, the TV guy, the broadband guy. Hiring maids, cook, driver and getting their ID cards done. Buying furniture, putting up pictures, making the house look like home. 
I told S the other day - Moving is like giving birth. You do it once and you swear you will never go through that pain again. But then some people like us never learn. Gluttons for punishment is the phrase they use for people like us.
Anyway, this is probably the nicest house we've ever lived in, a sprawling place with enough nooks and corners for everybody. The kids have their own bunk beds and for the last week, have been sleeping all night on their own, which is a VERY BIG DEAL for us indeed!
I'll get started with regular programming soon, hopefully. We have another week before we fly to New York City for a long-awaited trip. It's going to be my first long-haul flight without S so keeping fingers crossed, though I bet Disney Pixar will take care of most of the entertainment needs. At the end of the trip is our meeting with my mint-new niece, my brother and SIL -and my kids and I are super-excited at the bought of holding and playing with the little one.
Off I go now, to call some more people who haven't delivered stuff that was supposed to be here a week ago :)

16 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you Aparna! All I can say is wow, and whew at the amount of stuff you are doing. Like the phrase - gluttons for punishment. Wish you all speedy settling in and a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks vibha. Hope to post reasonably often from now on.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful aparna. Nice to hear you moved over here. Great have a fun trip and be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sumana. It's good to be back in Bangalore!

      Delete
  3. I've been a little busy too with my friend from Bbay coming down for a few days..feel sorry for not catching up, esp when we are quite close by.
    Another trip you say? wow! you have wheels for the feet :-))) Enjoy!
    Did the pointers help at all? When are you back? hope we meet before you leave..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back may 13th. the pointers did help but finally I got the stuff from seshadripuram. You must come home and see it all :)

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Bangalore! :)

    Hope to meet up with you, once you are a bit free!

    Good to know you are settling in well. Good to see a post from you after a long time, too.

    ID cards for maids and drivers and cooks?! Wow! Yes, I know you're supposed to get them done and all that, but I don't know anyone who really does that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course we must meet once I am back! The ID cards m we have to get them all done in the complex where we stay. No entry otherwise. And yes, what is it with the weather in blr??? I am told its been like this for the last three or four years.

      Delete
  5. Bangalore is super hot, no? :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I know what you mean about the weather, I'll check it out the other way around soon, leaving on 15th! All the best to get settled in soon!
    And hope to meet you in May for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must meet. Have a good trip! Binsar should be fun. Make sure u shop in Lajpat and Sarojini!

      Delete
  7. Welcome!!!
    And yes, it is really hot. The other day, I heard someone remark in the elevator ' I feel like I am in Madras' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its still not as bad as Chennai...atleast for me - I can't deal with the humidity, give me dry heat any time. Hopefully just another month and JUne onwards should be lovely.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo, you made it! Welcome back! :-D

    I am winging it home today - bloggers meet soonish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course....let me know when. We were in VA too, near DC but did not do any sightseeing....too busy playing with the little one :)

      Delete
  9. Woohoo, you made it! Welcome back! :-D

    I am winging it home today - bloggers meet soonish?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)