Kids

Kids

Tuesday 11 December 2012

Tam-Mum is out!

I volunteered to spend an hour in Ads' classroom working with the kids on their reading skills. Ads' has 3 instructions for me:
  • Don't hug me, kiss me, or otherwise embarrass me.
  • Don't talk in Tamil.
  • Don't call me kanna or chellam.
Needless to say, I scrupulously followed them :)
My obedience and diligence arose due to a recent surprise discovery. For weeks, he has been resisting my attempts to accompany him to the bus-stop. Finally I got suspicious, especially after he meekly allowed S to accompany him. Clearly, it was not an independence thing.
I nagged and nagged until finally he could take it no longer. He hissed, "Amma, you talk to me at the bus-stop in TAMIL!! You call me Chellam and Kanna and you stand close to me when I am talking to my friends!"
I knew my kids would maybe start feeling a wee bit ashamed of me some years down the line. I did NOT bargain for it to happen now :(

13 comments:

  1. woops...guess its a just a phase and with every generation the time when it actually happens is reduced ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so! True what you say about the gen gap appearing faster in every generation.

      Delete
  2. lol, generation gap :D (now ducking under the chair :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So i start to count my days when my boy will actually start saying this. He is getting there. Kids these days abba...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha lets hope u have some more time before it all kicks in sumana ;)

      Delete
  4. Awwwww
    Hope it is a phase, and that it passes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha...knowing ads, he will turn around and start clinging to me soon....can't predict his moods and phases!

      Delete
  5. awww..he's growing beeg..i remember the time when you'd blogged about not preparing him enough to leave him alone for a while at the bus stop...
    of course, as you say, its all a phase :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Uma..I"m sure i am going to look back on my past posts and have a good laugh.

      Delete
  6. Ok so now I know what to expect in the future as Cheebu grows up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or then, maybe girls are different! I'm sure they are.

      Delete
  7. Did not realize I missed this one.. I can so imagine this happening to me, and my nicknames are MUCH worse than kanna or chellam ;).

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)