Kids

Kids

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Papad ki sabji and misc.

When the breaking dawn sees you in the kitchen, having already finished baking a pound cake, mixing the batter for chocolate cupcakes and the cooker whistling away in preparation for a batch of sweet pongal, then it's party time for my kids :) It has been raining cats and dogs here since yesterday and so I magnanimously decided to keep the kids home from school (had to extract a promise from them that they would play amicably together and allow me to work for a few hours, otherwise I was driving them to school myself, rain or no rain!). 
Sweet or chakkarai pongal is one of my favourite sweets, and no one makes it better than my mom. After years of practice, I guess she can make this dish in her sleep and it tastes absolutely delicious even though she does not add dollops of ghee to it. Warm and mushy or cold and firm (which is the way I like it), it is the perfect comfort food as far as I am concerned. It's been frustrating for me that I can never get my sweet pongal to taste as good as my mom's (it doesn't even come close). I always console myself by blaming the quality of the jaggery, rice and dal...everything, in short, except my culinary talent :) This year, 2013, I am going to crack this recipe!!!
Today, the kids had requested burgers for lunch so I was wondering what to whip up for myself. Something really quick and non-fuss. Aha! Papad ki sabzi! The first I heard of this strange dish was from my Marwari friends who claimed it was a lifesaver when you were short of time and/or there were no vegetables in the fridge. Having tasted it once, I was hooked. The recipe I used today was different from what my friends told me (they skipped the curd but added tomatoes) but the popular internet versions all seem to incorporate dahi. I finally used Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe here.
As expected it was absolutely yum and I definitely plan to make more of this dish. It may be a mundane dish for a lot of people but it's definitely a novel delicacy for me! Here's a pic of all the ingredients simmering away :)
PS: The only thing to remember is to go easy on the salt. I forgot that the papads themselves have salt so the dish was a tad saltier than I like...but my salt tolerance is very low so it might be quite ok for most people.
PPS: This is to be eaten hot with rotis. The besan can make it pretty smudgy after a bit, but I guess that can be rectified by adding water and boiling again. I saw several recipes that did not use besan so that's another option.
 
 

19 comments:

  1. That papad ki subzi looks and sounds delicious! Got to try it out sometime.. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I thought you would know about it! Don't they make some version of it in Ahd?

      Delete
    2. No, this is more of a Rajasthani dish, I guess. We do make appalam vathal kozhambu at home, though. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to try sweet pongal, have never made it. And this version of papad sabji. I make it a bit differently! You guys are having rain? We have our first day of no-rain in ages, loving it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please to share your recipe too!
      Yes its cold and misty here...

      Delete
    2. Sure I will! Btw, I was happy too soon, we are experiencing sleeting right now:(

      Delete
  4. My dad makes vathakuzhambu with fried arisi applam pieces and that tastes real yumm.
    This one you have written about is new to me. Am going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup my mom doesn't make that too often but I've tasted it - its yum!! Care to share the recipe aarthy? I would love to try my hand.

      Delete
  5. You had me at papad ;).. I definitely need to check it out. Something about baking that gets you going first thing in the morning right? Love the smells wafting around at breakfast time :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! I like to bake right in the morning or have a batch in the oven when kids get home from school...love the look on their faces :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I have seen this dish being prepared at some cookery shows but like always, I always limit cookery shows to just watching ;-)
    maybe, I'll try it out now..:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I used to note down the recipes atleast earlier...now too lazy to even do that ;-)

      Delete
  7. papad ki sabzi is a first for me....and lucky a & y to have their delicacies done before they even get up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look on advaith's face when he comes into the kitchen and sniffs and his eyes light up when he realizes its bread or cake!

      Delete
  8. Aparna,

    You have a future in writing! Since I believe that, I am happy to award you the 'Liebster' award for being a promising blogger. Check out the award at
    http://meeraah.blogspot.in/2013/02/liebster-award-delight.html

    Cheers
    Meera

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aps, have you heard of Shev chi bhaji....i came across it in office and it seems super popular amongst the maharashtrians and gujaratis. Its basically sev cooked with some masala (onions tomatoes etc) ....super delicious. should give it a try some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I haven't heard of it sumanya, will look up the recipe. Sounds good.

      Delete
  10. i tried it at a relative's place..it tastes gud!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)