Kids

Kids

Monday 25 February 2013

A sorted-out 7 yo (I think!)

Ads graduated from bedtime stories quite a while ago and for the last year or more, his bedtime routine has consisted of either a quiz (we ask him questions on a mutually-agreeable topic) or else a "discussion". The latter again involves a specific topic on which we have a free-wheeling chat of sorts. Nothing very elaborate, 10 minutes tops is the usual duration because we have to start sleeping and therefore the same topic may be continued for as long as a week depending on how interesting it is.
For the last few days, we have been talking about religion. What it is, why the need for religion, the different religions practised in India, and so on. Naturally, we have also talked about evolution and God and faith (mine, his and the world's at large!). Last night, he floored me not once by twice by saying something that was not just extremely insightful but totally unexpected for someone his age.
#1 - During a discussion on the negation of the theory of evolution by conservative Christians, he said: Only fools think they know everything. It was almost telepathic, because just then I'd been about to say something on the lines of - Only fools think they have all the answers, the wise man is full of doubts.
#2 - We were talking of the commonality between all religions and I told him that all religions seek to answer just a couple of fundamental questions, and then I casually asked him whether he could think what this question was. Pat came the reply: Who am I?
His prompt and ready response shook me up. How did he know? We'd never discussed this with him before. How had he cracked this most fundamental question of all? Who am I? Why am I here? To what end?
I find it very hard to reconcile this kid with the kid who fights over the last piece of chocolate with his baby sister and who throws a fit because I gave her 3 kisses and gave him only 2! I feel like saying - Dude, you cracked the meaning of life! You cannot, simply cannot, be acting like this!
Oh well - that's what makes life with Ads so interesting :)

31 comments:

  1. see I TOLD you! he has saintly genius. i have always maintained that...you unnecessarily tarnish that image by posting trivialities of his fights and tantrums :D :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me ask him to throw a major tantrum when we meet u - that may change ur mind :)

      Delete
  2. :) I agree with Yuvika!

    He makes our life also fun - through your posts about him! So does he believe in God?
    KB on the one hand says his favorite god is Vishnu and on the other hand says "No one knows if there really is a god. Every one thinks there is...nature is like god...it is so unbelievable" etc. And I have to make sure he does not say these things to my mother or brother - they will surely give me a disapproving glare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, noon - we would get blamed for our kids' logical and questioning attitudes! KB seems to be on the right track though! Atleast he is thinking about it.

      Delete
  3. Your 7 year old never fails to impress me :)I love reading his updates. I also like the way you discuss all these things with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is said that all of us carry what is called as 'vasanas' from our earlier lives .. If someone has been a spiritual seeker in their earlier lives, it shows up in them even as small children in their next life too ..
    So glad Ads has this bent of mind to even be thinking along these lines .. I've always thought spirituality is very important for life and has to be ingrained from childhood ..
    He seems to have made it easy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true aarthy. He is no genius but definitely differently built from a lot of other kids. Or maybe I did something right - might as well take the credit right? :)

      Delete
    2. You sure have done a lot of things right!
      These 'discussions' cannot be done solo and neither will a child take initiative to do it :)

      Delete
  5. You see, Lord Krishna knew the meaning of life but that didn't stop him from playing pranks in Gokul and Brindavan, right? What's life without the trivialities???
    I agree with Yuvika..he is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uma - LOL!! That's a new line of thought! And true :) Thanks for pointing it out.

      Delete
  6. Lovely exchange! Children think very differently from the way we adults do! Your son is very insightful for his age. Lol on Uma's comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) All ok there? You haven't posted for a while now?

      Delete
  7. Awwwwww, so adorable he sounds! All mature and kiddo in one. :)

    Loved your exchange with him. :)

    Have you seen the movie OMG? It is lovely! Answered many of my own questions about religion, God and faith - a mature, sensible movie after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see OMG and loved it. In fact all of us saw it.

      Delete
  8. Wow he said that. He has such profound thoughts. just loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. Please ask him who I am too?! Could use the help!

    Kids are something else! Amazing clarity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure!!! Yes they are something else entirely :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome. Please ask him who I am too?! Could use the help!

    Kids are something else! Amazing clarity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the most profound stuff from a 7 year old I have ever heard of. I am also giving you a lot of credit for his bent of mind, because our bedtime routine currently consists of D & S reading books for me :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no aparna, I'm pretty washed out by the end of day as well...but I have to do the honours most of the week becos daddy (whose duty it is) is never around :(

      Delete
  12. I really like your idea of a discussion before bed time.. that is actually the most intimate time you will have with your child. And its also true that children have an insight into the so-called mysteries of life that can surprise us. My husband and I belong to different religions but have been careful to expose her to both. But what I have seen is that without too much of an explanation she understands that there is a difference and has an equal respect for both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true Ruth. I think kids who have parents from diff states/religions and so on are incredibly lucky!!

      Delete
  13. wow! Did you say a 7 year old? i never thought such conversations are possible at such age! brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a precocious kid! Most impressed by the who am I question.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this anecdote. what an intellectual Ads is turning out to be.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)