Kids

Kids

Friday 21 May 2021

Speaking my truth (poem)

Don't be angry with me, just wait a sec ...

You know I love you, 

but it's hard to keep you in check.


Your whimsy, that foul temper!

The way you are so contrarian!

My dear, do you remember 


the many times I've thought of something to say, 

and you violently disagree? 

You just have to have it your way!


The pen writes not what I want to express, 

but some proposition of your own.  

You know it leads to a lot of stress


when you won't cooperate and collaborate; 

if you put ideas into my head.  

I think it's very immoderate 


of you, to assign to me a beliefs or feeling

that I had no intention of subscribing to.  

You say you are just revealing 


what lies beneath my well-chosen expressions. 

I call it squealing and wheeling-dealing,  

a wanton act of aggression,  


to steal my thoughts and lay them bare 

on the naked page, for all to see. 

But....perhaps you're right and I must prepare


to confront that ugliness inside of me... 

Say what I mean, and mean what I say. 

Be honest to the highest degree.

 

On second thoughts, you are absolutely right 

to have taken me in hand, and asked me 

to reconsider and reappraise and rewrite. 

 

Where would I be without this rectitude,  

this compass, this unseen and unacknowledged beacon;  

it was in danger of decrepitude. 

 

I get it now; you love me too,  

my dear conscience, and you won't let me stray 

too far from the truth; I'm grateful to you.

1 comment:

I would love to hear your thoughts :)