Kids

Kids

Saturday 18 September 2010

Books! Books! Books!

I've been going a little nuts with buying books for Ads lately. Reason #1 - No library, for kids or for adults, nearby. So although I'm not that big on buying books (I prefer borrowing and only buying those which we really  like and want to read over and over again), I was left with no alternative. Reason #2 - English writing for children in India is now BIG. Where one once (I'm talking of way back in the 90s) had to be satisfied with ladybird books, other imported books or poor quality Indian works, the appearance of publishers like Tulika, Zubaan and Pratham, just to name a few that I learnt about, have completely transformed children's writing in English. Innovative content, fantastic illustrations, links with Indian traditional art forms, and reasonable pricing make them  a must-add to any children's library. So these are the books we picked up recently (all ordered online). These are in addition to the few Amar Chitra Katha comics and Karadi tales DVDs that I ordered for Ads' birthday. (Incidentally is Karadi tales awesome or what???? ACK completely messed up my order but they were also service-oriented enough to ship me a new set in lieu of the ones they lost. So I got the books and DVDs a fortnight late but I was impressed with their ability to admit their mistake and make amends for it)

I just found out about Amma's Tales which sounds like something Ads would really love. Time for more shopping!!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great post on a topic very close to my heart :). I am trying to pass on my love of reading to my children and my five year old daughter has really taken to it. It was great to hear about so many options by Indian publishers that I have not been keeping track of. Hoping to find some of them in bookstores so I can browse through them (physically!) before figuring out what would suit her. Thanks a ton!

    Aparna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, aparna! Let me know where you finally found the books if you did...I'd love to shop in the physical world too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do :). Hey I wrote a blog entry this morning and along the way I felt like I had to reference your blog as you set me thinking on the topic of reading. Hope you don't mind !

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem, will check out the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a great job of capturing the lives of your kids (and your own). Something about the way you write, perfectly worded, that makes it very enjoyable and interesting even to someone like me who doesn't have kids.
    I keep coming back to your blog. It's been a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi non, thanks a ton and am glad you are enjoying this kiddie blog :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)