Kids

Kids

Saturday 30 January 2010

Ads and r2i

There is a sense of relief now the the r2i decision has been made and we are moving to Delhi in a month or so. The uncertainity of the last few months has come to an end and I am even looking forward to experiencing a new city. As we make humungous to-do lists, sort and dispose of our stuff, call up Delhi brokers and schools, and explore shipping options, there is at the back of my mind an unease and anxiety which I know is only going to intensify over the next couple of months. You know that uncomfortable and nasty feeling that wells up from the pit of your stomach before an important exam or interview that you haven't prepared for, a feeling that makes you almost nauseous? There is only one person who can make me feel that way nowadays, and that is Ads. I am deeply anxious about how he will adjust in India, to a new school, friends and lifestyle. He knows we are moving but I'm not sure it has sunk in yet.
Maybe I'm over-protective about him because he is my first-born. Maybe I got so used to being anxious about him and his well-being, right from the time I saw those two dark-blue lines on the home pregnancy test, all through those not-so-pleasant months of my pregnancy where I prayed incessantly that my baby should be full-term and healthy. Maybe because he hates change, and disruption to routine. Maybe because he is so gentle and I fear he can't handle a big school and a strange environment.
So even though I am a logical reasonable person and I know that children are far more resilient that we give them credit for, I worry about him. I worry about this conscious decision of ours to uproot him from the loved and the familiar. I hate the thought of his first day in the new school, when he will cling to me and cry and beg me not to leave.
As a mother, I know that is a burden you have to carry all your life. A few years ago, I would scold my mother for worrying about me and my brother; but now all I feel is empathy.
As we move to yet another stage in our lives, I have my fingers crossed that it will be an easy journey for Ads.

2 comments:

  1. I have only one mantra for you.
    "All eezz well" :)
    Good luck. Welcome back home. Kids have an dumbfounding flexibility. They adjust easily, sometimes more easier than we can even imagine.
    As a parent, I think the only thing we can and must do in this critical phase is to ensure that they stay in good health!
    Good luck! and welcome back again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and i totally agree, since I had started empathising with my parents for all things under the sky after marriage:)
    All the best to you..dont worry he will fit in..

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)