Kids

Kids

Friday 30 March 2012

A new school year and a new toy

My first baby's going to Grade 2! Terribly hard to believe, and yet, it must be true :) It seems like only yesterday that a heavily pregnant me was sitting in the front seat of our car parked in the preschool parking lot in Sunnyvale, fighting tears and feeling like throwing up while S went inside to drop Ads to his very first day of school.
School starts Monday and we are all set with uniforms ironed and books labelled. The bummer is, we still don't have his results from Class I. Yeah, I know, utterly ridiculous. Instead of doing it the simple old-fashioned way and giving us parents a physical report card, the latter were supposed to be e-delivered. I have been obsessively checking the school intranet for the last week. Today I called his class teacher and she said some other parents have complained. So I will call the school tomorrow and hopefully will know his grades before he enters the next class :) 
Y goes to nursery this year, but she has a couple more weeks of vacation before she starts school.
And, ooh, before I forget, moi is now the owner of a brand new ipad 3!!! Husband's gift to me when he came back from NYC this time. I'm still exploring it, and I can understand (having played around a bit with the earlier versions), why the new ipad is called Resolutionary. Do weigh in with kid-suitable apps which I can download - I'm basically stuck for any ideas beyond Talking Tom and the (despised) Angry Birds.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ads!!! Second grade sounds so like a big boy! But am confused - how come school starts on Monday? No summer holidays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks noon. Northern India has a different system. Since Delhi NCR has 5 distinct seasons, the summer here tends to start later than in the south. Unlike chennai for eg, where the heat tones down by june (which is when school starts), out here may and june are boiling. So schools give just 2 weeks off between the end of one academic session and the beginning of the next. The kids will have school for about 5-6 weeks now. Then they will have a 6-7 week break during the hottest period which is the long summer vacation. For advaith, summer break is from may 18 to july 1st.
      In fact, by may 1st week, the heat is so intense that for the last few years, the state government has asked schools to advance their closing dates. I suspect this happens almost every year and it may happen this year as well.

      Delete
  2. aww..the children are growing up..:-)
    I had the same question as Noon..saw the explanation then.
    Congrats on the ipad! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma, still exploring my new toy, planning to take it out of town this weekend :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)