Kids

Kids

Monday 19 March 2012

Reading and more

It's taken Ads a while to start reading all by himself. Atleast, I thought he would be reading a lot earlier, and somehow I had the mistaken impression that kids in India start reading by 3.5 or 4 years. Clearly that's not the case and he seems to be on the same literacy levels as most of his peers. Indeed, I'd say he is doing somewhat better than most. I give a large share of the credit to his school and class teacher, who is also his English teacher. The school in general, and she in particular lays a lot of emphasis on reading and getting the 20-odd children in the class to read aloud in public every single day has had tangible results. Over the last year, S and I haven't had the time to read to our kids as much as we would have liked. It's a fact that we don't read to Y as much as we used to read to Ads. If she does not develop a love for books and reading, I will know whom to blame :(
What really kick-started Ads' current obsession with reading (yes, YAY! Obsession it is!) is his abiding passion for big cats. More than a year ago, I had picked up some books on the big cats. A few months later, his maami bought him a lovely set of 10 books. They are called 100 facts - each book deals with one topic such as inventions, big cats, gladiators, myths and legends, mummies, sharks and so on. All of them are beautifully illustrated, printed on high-quality paper, and written very engagingly. Though Ads loves all of them, the big cats and sharks have been particular favourites.


The former has been a big reason why he started reading by himself. For more than a month now, we have rarely seen him without a book in his hand. He has even been comparing 3 different books on the big cats and finding inconsistencies between them :) The fellow is turning into a veritable encyclopedia on the cat family. Our vacation planning for the year now needs to be rapidly modified to include sightings of some big game :) I am hoping we get to do one tiger or lion park this year - I have been hearing wonderful things about Bandhavgarh and Kanha.
This mother's heart swelled with deep contentment during our break in Alwar, when we asked the kids to pose for a photograph and they did this. 



16 comments:

  1. That is indeed the best time - when your kids start to love reading :)You must be so chuffed :) I love that picture of the two of them :)
    I can't say how happy I was when Poohi first started reading :) She reads all the time now :) All she needs is a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet - this picture. I remember being so thrilled when KB read his first book fully on his own. And somehow rest of it faded from memory...when did he get comfortable with reading etc. Now am waiting for KG to read comfortably. At least this time around I will make it a point to write it down so I remember...it is a pleasure to see them read and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Though between his reading and drawing, he is lost in his own world most of the time. I have to call 10 times before I get a response :)

      Delete
  3. :) this post made me smile! Good on Advaith, to begin to enjoy reading. though i think now its critical, the kind of books you introduce him to, to encourage the habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I thought I'd just continue reading a lot myself - and leave him to emulate me :)

      Delete
  4. So glad to see this :-)
    yes, you can continue to read, so that your kids begin to emulate you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, actually my reading has come down a bit nowadays :(

      Delete
  5. Awwww that's such a sweet pic :) Any mother's heart would swell with pride on seeing that!

    Kudos to you and the school teacher for kindling the reading obsession. :)

    I hope my kids are as obsessed with books too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will be, if the mom or dad likes books, they'll make sure of that :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Aparna - reading your comments I realize - KB rarely sees me reading a paper book - most reading I am able to do when they are around is on the comp. Articles and such. Because after he gets back from school at 3.00 p.m. there isn't much time. They eat, then I get some cooking going, take them to either their sports or piano class or park...then dinner and time for them to get ready for bed. And I do pick books for them at the library but it is totally random. Only the non fiction books I choose some specific ones based on his interests. btw - he recently read this book called - my first book of questions and answers - early civilizations - it was very interesting even for us. I think Ads will enjoy it too. And I bought this book for KB at their school book fair - he loved this one and Ads will love it too I think because it is a true story, "Leo the snow leopard".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noon, thanks for the book recos. I will check them out. Ads just got a whole lot of books handed down by this lovely neighbour who has moved back to the US. She passed on her son's books to him.
      I think they do see me reading paper books - because I have the bad habit of reading while eating, even with my afternoon tea. And the bathrooms are stocked with books too :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! There's a lot of pleasure down this road (including a lot of personal time to read!) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to see this Aparna, I'm sure Y will pick up on the habit just by watching Ads - that's how it's been at our house :).
    It's been nice to catch up on your last few posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so, aparna...I see you have been too busy to blog! Good to see the kabini snaps.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)