Kids

Kids

Wednesday 4 April 2012

The 7 gross things - WARNING - Non-parents read at your own risk :P

This is so funny. Err...ok....maybe most people would find it gross :) But I find it funny-weird that one's ideas of what is gross/yucky undergo a complete sea change once kids enter the picture. I know a few parents personally who would still turn up their refined noses at all these, but hey, most parents I know have done many of these gross activities and lived to tell the tale!
The one I will never ever do is catching the kiddos puke with my hands. We've had several instances when we needed a handy receptacle - like NOW - mostly in airplanes when the kids (most inconveniently) decided to throw up. The husband has in those cases done the honours. He asks me, faux-innocently - But why would you not catch our babies' puke in your hands? 
Over my dead body and the hostile glares and nasty remarks of the flight attendants :)
The one instance which I am really proud of my super-fast reflexes is when I was driving with the kids in the back seat. I heard a very tiny teensy-weensy gurgle from Y which to my trained ear, meant only one thing. It meant that I had about 5 seconds, maybe less. Screeching the car to a halt, throwing off the seatbelt before stopping, while simultaneously yelling at Y to control herself for just a second longer, yanking open the back door and shoving her head out of the car and over the road, all in a matter of seconds - yessir, even 007 or Agent Vinod couldn't have responded that fast.
Nowadays, when Y is sick (which is when she invariably gets very puky), I sleep with one year cocked and open and at the slightest indication of discomfort from her, we are sprinting to the bathroom, half-asleep!
Such valuable skills - unfortunately, not one of them can be showcased on my CV :(

8 comments:

  1. ha ha. My first instinct when I sense someone is about to puke/has puked is to put a lot of distance between self and said person. It would be really interesting to see if that changes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I was like that too...but what to do...karna padta hai :)))

      Delete
  2. ha ha, completely agree on the cv thing. would that i could include skills like changing diapers while holding down baby with hands and one thigh and using toes of other leg to drag toy/nasal spray bottle/hanky close to distract it with so that it doesn't flip over during the process... smearing poo everywhere.... read a crappy parenting post about just this recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get very very grossed out by such things...but I have done the whole put my hand in front thing for KB when he puked many times. But I learned to keep a tupepr ware container that is oval shaped right by his bed and also another one by the dining table...when he is in cough mode I always keep it next to me. And bags for car trips. Learned that the hard way. Have suffered on our way to India on lousy Lufthansa where they had the lights off, we could not control it, stewardess was unfriendly and KB puked all over me. Good grief. I don't know how I got through that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you, noon! Handling this crap (pun intended) on flights is the absolute worst. I dislike Lufthansa - i've never had a friendly pleasant experience with them. Nowadays with india connections being better, prefer to fly Singapore airlines/Emirates/Cathay - the best for travelling with kids.

      Delete
  4. Oh I have so been there... and used the hands many a time :(. Wish my reflexes were as super as yours ;).

    Thankfully now the bad car sickness phase seems to be past, but I still hold my breath the second one of them starts making bad faces while in the car !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)