Kids

Kids

Sunday 25 March 2012

Crafty hours

I try to do some craft with the kids every week - but there are times when weeks go by without us working on something together, and I don't like that. We seem to get out a lot during the weekends and in addition, these two days of the week are the only time S gets to spend with the kids. I am left with the weekdays when it is hard to schedule anything between tennis lessons and homework and playtime.When S travels and is out over the weekend, that's when we are able to do crafty-artsy stuff together and this weekend was one of those.
It actually started with Y's school teacher sending me a note informing me that the end of the year class party was going to have a 'Garden' theme and Y needed to come to school in a homemade costume. I figured a flower was the easiest thing I could rustle up with the stuff I already had at home. I used thick card stock (I had pink), cut them into petal shapes, glued them together onto a green band of chart paper and decorated the 'petals' with floral patterns (bought from my absolute favourite shop in the whole wide world - Michael's!). Y wore a green t-shirt and leggings and I pasted 2 green leaves onto the front of her t-shirt. The 'flower' was turned into a crown to wear on top of her head. I didn't like to make petals framing the whole face because I think that's too uncomfortable for a small kid to have stuck to her face for several hours.
This is the floral 'crown'.


I don't suppose she looked terribly like a flower but I guess the basic idea was communicated :)


Yesterday, Ads had his end-of-year PTM and we wanted to give his teacher a small gift. Of course, it had to be handmade. I had a couple of glass bottles (in which we get scented candles?) with me. I got him to stick strips of glaze and crepe paper and decorate it with a bead bracelet. We placed a tiny scented candle inside, and packed it in a pretty bag.




Today, we've done Tape-resist painting which is very easy and a whole lot of fun! I have been meaning to do this for months ever since I read Rashmie's post over here. Ads and Y loved yanking the yellow tape out once  they had finished their artwork :)


This one is done jointly by Y and me.

And this one by Ads, a mixture of superheroes and abstract doodlings :)


A batch of shells and pebbles picked up from NZ beaches were painted.


And, finally, a really cool project - to make cute plastic lanterns from mineral water bottles. I saw this on Mindful Meanderings recently and it really appealed to me. We didn't use glass colours but regular acrylic ones. I cut open two bottles and gave 2 pieces each to Ads and Y. Later I added some beads from a couple of broken anklets we had lying around, and voila!



11 comments:

  1. Aparna,
    Love all these artsy activities you and your kids have done. The handmade gift for the teacher is a beautiful gesture :) I'm sure she'd be so proud and touched....
    Glad you made the tape-resist art. It's so much fun and there are so many ways you can fill up the areas. I like how your daughter filled up with abstract art and superhero stuff....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. When do you get time with all this....??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I love the simple but beautiful gift you made for the teacher. I am sure she must have loved it. I am trying to get my high-need three year old to get interested in craft but so far limited success. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice...more than the craft itself it is so nice that you are spending that time with them...craft also looks very cute. I love the sea shell paintings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all. I'm having some trouble with blogger since I have to use it on IE today and unable to respond individually to comments. Hope to post more about craft activities as the summer progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very artsy. Totally envy your enthu on this, am the least craftsy person around. Shall show daughter these pictures for sure, she'll be inspired. Love the tape art idea.

    A pretty flower you have there! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm sure your daughter can do something lovely with these ideas.

      Delete
  7. I quite enjoyed Y's flower costume! She looks cute as a button in it. So did you get all competitive and check out what the other moms did?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...God forbid!!! In any case, going by past experience I've realized I'll only get an inferiority complex if I do such things :(

      Delete
  8. First Time to your blog...
    Very interesting ..craft ideas..i loved the shell & pebbles painting

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)