Kids

Kids

Sunday 11 March 2012

First Holi

The children celebrated their first Holi this year. We were in the NCR last year as well but we had picked the day before Holi to move from Noida to Gurgaon. The day after we landed (Holi), I fell really sick with a bad viral and was out of action for a few days. I don't remember much, but I do know that all the kids did in 2011 was to peek out of the balcony at the colourful fest downstairs as their father unpacked and kept them out of my sick-chamber.
I was more prepared this year. I bought a lot of organic colours and the obligatory water pistols. S exclaimed at the sheer number of packets of colours I'd purchased. "Do you really think all this is going to get used?!!" I wasn't sure, myself. Ads in general hates to get messy and Y hates getting wet, both of which seemed to bode ill for a fun Holi.
But children have a habit of surprising you and boy, did my kids get into the swing of things! After a big breakfast, Ads packed up some colour sachets, filled up his water pistol and headed downstairs. I followed about half-hour later with Y. They located their friends and within minutes, they were unrecognizable in the crowd of multi-hued, sopping wet children. Ads did not mind getting wet while Y preferred to stay dry and pour pink colour all over herself. They had a lovely time and next year I'm sure they'll be up there on the dance floor grooving to Rang Barse!




6 comments:

  1. aww..so cute..the kids seem to have had so much fun. It's nice you got organic colours.
    I personally don't like playing holi as am allergic to those colours. How do you ensure everybody uses organic or safe colours? I don't want to deprive R of such fun but also worried about toxic colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that in our complex a lot of people seemed to be using good-brand herbal if not organic colours. I was also initially a little concerned but felt reassured after realizing that everybody has the same concerns about their kids as well as their own health :) Having said that, there may be allergies and accidents - one keeps fingers crossed! I was more concerned Ads would get a bad cold after being wet for several hours :(

      Delete
  2. Awwww are those pics cute or what?!! :)

    I was about to ask the same question as Uma - how do you ensure that everyone uses herbal/organic colours? But then, I saw that you had already answered that question.

    Glad you guys had a fun-filled Holi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I haven't ever played much Holi earlier but I had fun this time.

      Delete
  3. Looks like they had a blast!! Great that the neighbours too got into the "safe" spirit of things :)

    I'm not a big holi enthusiast but seeing the many sources of herbal colours I was quite tempted to give it a try! Maybe next year :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - me too - not very enthu about Holi - especially after having grown up in the cow belt where Holi was a messy affair - they even used to throw dung and mud! can u believe it??? I am sure it may still be like that in some places. I actually had a job convincing the husband to join us downstairs :)
      What I loved was some of the older people were playing safe and healthy holi - they had a big plate of marigolds and they were throwing those at people. It was really sweet!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)