Kids

Kids

Sunday 4 March 2012

My missing daughter

Every time I sit down to write a blog post, it seems as though I have a lot of things to say about Ads, but very little about my daughter. You know how some kids are so independent, and so mature and all-sorted-out? Y is one of those. And yes, maybe because she's my second, I don't worry and obsess about her as much as I tend do with Ads. Also, while I can predict my son's moods and reactions to the minutest extent, with Y I tend to proceed more cautiously, with a larger basket of logic and reason, as opposed to sheer maternal instinct.
At 3, she has a level of maturity and seriousness which I cannot help but compare to Ads' terrifying threes, when everyday was an exhausting parade of emotional highs and lows. Y does not have to deal with a younger sibling (which Ads did), but still, I believe her personality is so much more like her father's - she's quiet, patient, serious, affectionate, rock-solid. She takes time to warm up to anybody. Ads is a good example to her and as her role model, she will follow him to the ends of the earth. He has taught her to be more friendly and social and better-mannered and one day I hope she will teach him to be less temperamental!
At the same time, she is definitely the big sister too. Running to give him a proprietorial hug and kiss as he returns from school, patting his head and saying "My baby!" and whispering conspiratorially to me "Amma, why is anna in a bad mood?" :)
She knows to keep quiet (and away) from Anna when he is moody. She wants to have 3 kids - a girl, a boy, and another boy, in that order. Apparently I will have to live with her and take care of her kids while she goes to work, although she has promised me she will come back home early every day and take over childcare responsibilities :) She loves jewellery and long hair. Her glasses make her look quite serious and she now understands when random people ask me why she is wearing them. Some days, she is quick to answer in Tamil "Enakku power irukku" or "Enakku squint irukku."
I find it weird (absurd, even) how she quietly plays second fiddle to her vastly more high-maintenance brother. She observes every single thing, right down to how that Aunty pinched Anna's cheek and not her's. Yet, although she remarks on it, she rarely complains. It's a strange adjective to apply to a preschooler, but in her calmness and strength, I find her utterly dignified. 
So that's my beautiful, wonderful daughter. Wise beyond her years. And doesn't give me half as much trouble as her brother does, even now! No wonder she doesn't figure much in these pages :)

9 comments:

  1. such a lovely write-up on Y, Aparna!
    Drishti-chutti podu..Y is truly a darling.
    We want more of Y news too over here..:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uma. Somehow she gets missed out because of all the drama Ads does :(

      Delete
  2. Aparna, that was such a beautiful post. Want to say that she does look a lot like you describe her to be. Keep saying more on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to, Dheepa :) Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to write more about her.

      Delete
  3. Awwww this is so cute! :)
    Y sounds like such a darling!

    She does sound dignified. :) One of my nieces is like that, so I know exactly what you mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you? So now you know what she's like! Today she's been a real pain though :(

      Delete
  4. Ooh what a sweetie! I can just envision her so well through your words, so beautifully written Aparna :) ! Lots of hugs and kisses to Y!

    With me, it's been the opposite though - I feel like I write more about my younger one, though my older is definitely the more high maintenance one too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've noticed that u write little more about S. What is it about the older ones - we weren't cool moms then when they were babies, were we? :)

      Delete
  5. Have to completely agree with that. Whether because we were more "seasoned" or whether because of their personalities, I've definitely found it a wee bit easier with the second than the first ;). OMG they are going to grow up and be reading this very soon aren't they?

    BTW I completely blame you - have been spending the last hour trying to do a revamp of my page, go see :).

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)