Kids

Kids

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Another Bee-themed activity - a bumblebee costume

What? I have to come up with a homemade bee costume? What the $%!!!**&*!!!
I cribbed all the way to the stationery store, and spent the better part of last weekend designing and executing this project. As it happens, bees are easy to do and this is what I did.
Take 1 black t-shirt. Ads has an old one that I have been meaning to dump for a long time. But he loves it and wouldn't allow me to; fortunately he agreed to sacrifice the T-shirt for a greater cause :) 
I covered the pattern at the front of the t-shirt by pasting a sheet of paper (painted black) over it. Then I cut out and pasted strips of yellow chart paper all over the body.


For the wings, I took a wire hanger (one of those you get back from the drycleaners and which are very pliable) and twisted it so that it could be hooked over the top of the t-shirt, at the back. I cut 4 wings out of white chart paper and attached it with tape, to the hanger. I used markers to make the wings look more 'realistic'.



 The antennae were made using a girl's black head-band. Ads loudly protested that he would "not wear a girl's band" but came around after I explained that I could not think of any other way to have him wear the antennae.
Since he was taking the bus to school, I gave the wings and antennae to him in a bag. He would attach both to his costume just before he went up to talk.
We made the lil fella pose in the complete costume before he set off. We found the wings were a little limp. Next time I have to create wings I need to give them a cardboard backing for extra stiffness.

Next semester they are learning about tigers. Help!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Now that is what I call a creative mamma! You made that costume! Where are your feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha.....:) I didn't make it with any good grace I must tell you...when you look for a school for your daughter, ask them upfront whether they have a lot of such projects :))

      Delete
  2. Well..am surely going to ask the school before hand if they have such projects..:-0
    I am already getting sweat beads..:-(
    And you keep saying you are not creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uma- good idea!!! Necessity is the mother of invention :)

      Delete
  3. Phew - thank heavens there are no such projects here! Why do they want parents to do this for the kids?! They can do the same in a drawing on paper and stick strips on it in class and make a bee on paper for themselves. Why test the creativity of the moms or dads?!
    Gosh I missed so many posts. I saw the princess post last and suddenly I log in today and see all these posts. Very very cute pictures of the kids. Esp the one from school. Too cute. Just a few days back KB was trying to lift KG. Same kind of pic.
    So similar so far every year KB has gone to a difft school. And KG too. Somehow that's how it is working out. THough we live in the same city! Am glad this round the beg of a new school year went so smoothly! Gosh they are growing up isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes noon they are growing up! Ads will be 7 in 4 months (less than that actually). Today my husband asked me - can you believe it and I said yes and no.
      Don't get me started on the projects bit - I am going ahead and compalining about it to the teacher at the next PTA meeting.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)