Kids

Kids

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Princess-servants


I was sitting on the lawns, chatting with my friends, with one eye on Y, who was playing with another girl 'S', who is the same age. They were under the temporary supervision of ‘N’ didi, a cheerful 8-year old who loves to play with the younger kids – Teacher-teacher, house-house and passing the parcel are some of the names of the games that Y faithfully reports to me every evening.
Today, apparently, was a game called "Princess and Palace". Y tells me that she and the other preschooler S, have both got separate rooms in the palace. I asked her “Oh, so you and S are princesses?” Y says “ No, amma, N akka is the princess. We are servants!
I couldn’t help it. Laughter came bursting out of me. Y obviously thought servants were something like princesses. Before I could stop myself, I said “Oh, so you are N akka’s maids.”
Y stomped her foot (she hates people laughing at her) - “NOO. We are servants. Not maids!”
I tried to make amends by saying "Never mind, darling. I would love to have servants as cute as you and S."
But she is still furious with me and went off to bed without the usual goodnight hug and kiss :(
Oh, and a couple of days ago, she told me - "Amma, I want a sister. Not a boy-sister. I want a girl-sister." 
:))

8 comments:

  1. Y is so cute! LOL@ girl-sister not a boy sister :)

    Daughter used to say that some time back- boy- daughter and girl- daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a common theme and refrain :)

      Delete
  2. LOLOL...so cute!
    girl-sister and boy-sister indeed!
    I may be wrong here but I see girls are a little more sensitive to remarks or happenings that rub them the wrong way. R has a friend A who is super sensitive and will remember an unfriendly incident for days while R would have no memory of it the after the incident :-)So is the case also with my niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be true, Uma...just a typical girl trait you say? I have noticed it myself fairly consistently.

      Delete
  3. So cute :) ! I realize from reading your post, that "servant" is a word that we consciously avoid using (and therefore unfamiliar to children) as it seems somehow inappropriate compared to "maid".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I realized - that we never use the word servant - instead using maid or help.

      Delete
  4. :) I love it when older kids con the younger ones into playing roles they would not play if they were older. It usually helps the younger ones get street smart quite fast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita - true. It's funny to see the old ones bossing the younger ones around...sometimes I listen sneakily to the kids playing in the other room and it makes for a good laugh.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)