Kids

Kids

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Not a great idea to volunteer in my kids' class

It never goes well anytime I volunteer to do something with my kids' class in preschool. My part goes well, but my kids end up being so unhappy that I come away with no deep glow of self-satisfaction but with the memory of my child's eyes swimming in tears. It happened again today! Last week, Y's class teacher called to tell me that this week was "Language week" at school, and did I think I could come along and do some storytelling (in English) to Y's class? 
I acquiesced immediately. Back when I was only a mom-of-one and was also what is known as an enthu cutlet (!!), I had joined a playgroup in the Bay Area. A bunch of us, all of whom were first-time mommies got all fired-up about doing creative, educational activities with our kids (all between the ages of 2 and 2.5). We decided to meet once a week, in addition to the weekly playgroup that we used to attend, to attain this lofty objective. I smile when I think about how it wasn't enough for me to let my 2-year old play in the sand with a few toys. No, I had to go all out and make a list of themed activities to improve his motor skills, language skills and social skills :) Every member of the group would lead the activity every week, by rotation. We did this religiously for about 6 months until it was time for most of the kids to start preschool and then it was too difficult to coordinate our separate and often conflicting schedules. 
So, this time, all I had to do was pull up some google docs of previous activities which I had done with this group, and customize it a little bit. I chose a jungle theme and decided to read 3 books, play 2 games, sing 2 songs and end on a calmer note with some colouring activity. 
So far so good. However, as it used to happen with Ads, Y got pretty miffed with all the attention her mommy was receiving from her classmates, and the attention and smiles her mommy was bestowing on other kids. She was not clingy, but cried a lot during the 90 minutes that I was there and when I was leaving, she wailed because I'd said bye to all the other kids but not to her! I'd in fact already said a separate goodbye to her earlier, but who was to argue with her? :(
Y is a pretty strong kid, mentally and emotionally, unlike Ads who can switch on the water-faucet at the drop of a hat. This means that I tend to discount his tears and take hers much more seriously because when she cries, it means she's really really upset.
I'm not sure I'll do stuff with her class again. It doesn't feel good at all!

12 comments:

  1. lol - i remember being so miffed at mom for announcing some dance results when I was not the winner - we were in the same school - apparently i told her if my own mom cant take my name who else will!! that was back in grad 2 - things didnt change when years later she was forced to be my english teacher in class 8 - i always though I got the second highest and not highest cos she didnt want to look partial - when I actually deserved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. made me smile Aparna..kids can be so possessive!
    And enthu cutlet you are! I am going to ask you to lend some ideas in the future..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuvika..LOL!! That's funny. I had a similar experience when amma was my english teacher in some primary class - she would never call my name to answer any question even tho I was the first (sometimes only!) student to raise my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uma: Gawd...I was so enthu for Ads...I remember sitting outside in the car and crying on his first day of school. I wouldn't even go inside and made my husband take him inside the classroom. With Y - far less energy and enthu and happily sent her off to school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) So cute - that she was upset that you did not say bye to her! :)
    Am sure it will be OK next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @noon: I donno--- I'm not planning for a next time..i felt so bad this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this -
    "ALWAYS KISS YOUR CHILDREN GOODNIGHT - EVEN IF THEY'RE ALREADY ASLEEP."

    Keep volunteering. They will remember you were there and have stories to put in comments on their friend posts :) - my mom was an enthu cutet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL at enthu cutlet - that's a term I haven't heard in a while for sure :). I remember being atleast slightly enthu with my first one, and religiously remembering all her school activities, but it's so much more difficult when you send off one of them at 7, and then have to get things organized for the second one too.
    Today in S's school they had asked for "orange" flowers for celebrating Onam, and I found my garden flowers were all tending more to yellow, and had to let out a groan at adding 5 mins to go to the flower shop in the midst of the going to school schedule :(. Yes, even simple things seem like mountains on some days!
    So sweet what you have said about Y - all kids get possessive when it comes to their moms i guess :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mallika: Welcome! :) Yeah I am sure I'll volunteer again, even tho I said I won't...enthu cutlets don't give up u see :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Aparna: I hear ya!! It's painful when the routine gets thrown off-track like this. Now Ads tells me he has to go dressed in some "regional" costume tomm, where the heck do I go now to find something? Everything seems to be an auto ride away and the min auto fare in Ggn is 100 bucks. So annoying! I asked Ads if he'll go in a Tamilian costume (only veshti reqd) and he flatly refused :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'enthu cutlet' - wow, this word has somehow crawled out of the backpages of history. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anita: backpages of history?? Now you've made me feel my age!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)