Kids

Kids

Thursday 29 September 2011

Busy busy week and Navarathri begins

The last week or so has been extremely full. Between Ads' various assignments at school, a niggling backache for me, the onset of growing pains for Y and her refusal to eat anything in school, Navarathri, planning for our short holiday to Amritsar later this week, and my maid going absent because of malaria AND typhoid (the poor thing!), I have been running around like a headless chicken all over the place.
The main event was Navarathri. Over the last couple of months, ever since getting back to Gurgaon after the summer holidays, I have managed to make quite a few friends in the complex. Friends, as opposed to casual Hi-and-bye neighbours/acquaintances. Most of us are around the same age, have kids of varying ages and it's something to look forward to every evening that we are able to meet at the park and chat while the kids play. In fact, some days ago, I had to urgently meet somebody for a prospective work assignment and S was unable to get home early and watch Y. One of my friends stepped in to watch her for the hour or so that I had to be away.
My large-ish Golu doll collection got decimated when we moved to the US since I had to give most of them away :( So I have to build up my collection again. This year, Ads insisted on his Ben10 action figures and jungle animals being included in our Golu. Here is what we ended up with. I did the bottom 2 padis (steps) and Ads dolled up the shelves (they are technically our 3rd padi!). Last night, we spoke to my in-laws and they had a good idea, that I should include some of Ads' drawings in the Golu. Their suggestion was duly incorporated this morning :)


Y has been "helping" me this morning, with preparing and labelling the gift bags for people who will attend our Golu tomorrow. It would have been a real help if she hadn't mixed up all the gifts/tags and appropriated some of the baubles for herself. I'm terribly confused now and will wait for her nap before redoing everything :)

7 comments:

  1. I love 3rd padi best!

    seriously, though, Golu was one of the fun rituals i think! i remember attending all kinds of theme golus.

    Good going, Aps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, sumanya. I remember one year when I did a "park" golu, in bangalore...i think next year i will get the kids to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..that's so nice. I loved Ads drawings and lol@ Y's "help"
    Hope you're having some help..sounds like a crazy schedule..good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Uma, managed to get a temp maid today after 3 days of a messy house and unending dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a neat golu arrangement Aparna (neat=cool!), and I love Ads drawings as the crowning glory.
    One more year passes by with my plans of golu not materializing sigh - this year my excuse was us going on vacation, but still should have planned and done it earlier. Will take inspiration from you for next year.. really love the modernized step + showcase arrangement - the steps are the most daunting part for me usually :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply beautiful...lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks kalyan! :)
    @Aparna: You know what, I figured that if I were to wait to get the steps right and all, it would never happen. So just decided to do it. In past years I have actually had the more traditional golu with "proper" steps but this year decided to improvise. After all, its the spirit that counts :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)