Kids

Kids

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Alligator craft

Ads was asked to make a model of a crocodile for some class assignment. I was halfway through making it when I realized I was making an alligator. Oops :)
Normally, I never allow Ads to dump any assignment on me. But the school week has been extraordinarily full for him. He has had to read 2 books for a "Reading Grand Prix" that they have going, and compose 2 original poems for display (which means he had to compose, neatly write and then decorate the paper on which the poem was written), apart from the regular homework and test that they have every week. With his thrice-a-week tennis class, it meant he was having very little downtime. The only way he could have made the crocodile all by himself was by skipping playtime some day or by losing out on sleep, and I wasn't willing to compromise on either.
So, much against my will, I let him off this particular task and enlisted his help only for some glueing and painting work. This is the end result. Could have been a lot neater, but I'm out of practice :) The frame is made out of newspaper, and given bulk with paper napkins and other waste paper. Those white triangles are supposed to be large and scary teeth :)


11 comments:

  1. well..am quite a dud and won't know the difference between a croc and an alligator..:-)
    nice one that..maybe the tongue could have been of a different colour?
    trust me..i cannot do any craft..R will have to manage..or maybe i'll learn from him when the time comes..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't know the difference between a crocodile and an alligator either :(

    That looks like a handsome one though :) God, I am dreading the coming years! I hope i have it in me to churn out things like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary indeed...also the fact that a mom had to make it. Mine would have looked like a cross between two unrelated beings. If I even figured the medium out. Newspapers, you say? How do you creative people think this stuff up? Leaves me in the dust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aparna,
    You've done a neat job. Really, I like the shape of its body, the jaws are fab and the painting by Ads is pretty nice.

    Poor boy, he seems overloaded. The school's intention is good, but I think overdoing it may only backfire. It drains the spirit out of the kids. Can't they do away with the homework when all this is going on?!

    I think the school should do most of it at school itself rather than dumping it on the parents. After school, the kid should have some time to do some open-ended play and art.
    I fail to understand the mentality of our so-called "progressive" schools!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice, Aps! looks like whatever school kids go to, theres no running away from 'homework for mothers'. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Uma, the tongue is hidden and it's red:)
    @Smitha: we all do! and what's google for anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @sangi: I googled and saw there were a few hundred ways of making it. I picked what seemed easiest. I'm going to ask his class teacher whether I can see the other 23 crocodiles...i really want to know what people made!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sangi: "You" creative people?! hardly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rashmie: To be fair, this "overload" I am encountering for the first time. I think someone at the school may have goofed up with all the scheduling.
    However, I do think they shd have crammed in some time to do this at school in their art class or whatever. I agree with u, after school, kids shd be able to just run around and play or do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I don't have a single crafty bone in my body. I think this looks really cool. Though I feel bad for your son with all this homework. I shudder how my daughter is going to take this once she is out of playschool and in the main school

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Swapna: Thank you! The kids will manage fine :) I think u shd worry abt yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)