Kids

Kids

Sunday 4 September 2011

The birthday

My birthday was a couple of days ago. I'm not big on birthday celebrations anyway (What??? You didn't know that already??!! :)) but I will readily admit that the influx of phone calls, emails and texts made me feel really good! Especially all those friends and relatives who took the trouble to make a short phone call to wish me. I've loved my 30s so far. It's been much better for me than my 20s. One of my good friends was surprised to hear this and she said "But, we had so much fun in our 20s!". Which is only kinda true, really. A lot of the defining moments and stages of my life happened in my 20s - the undergrad, the b-school, the career, the finding-of-the-soulmate, the marriage, and the mommyhood (yes my 30th birthday was the one I don't like to remember, I was in so much post-partum pain that day!). Several of my best friends are from my 20s. Yes, I did have a lot of fun. But I was still finding myself. I was still parroting the opinions and values of others. I didn't yet have my own voice, which came to me only after I turned 30. I wouldn't say motherhood was a defining transition point but it did hasten the process of me understanding who I am and what I wanted to be. I've done things my way, learnt not to let other's opinions matter as much as they used to, learnt to brush off criticism and learnt to speak up for myself. Just a matter of ageing and growing up, you say? Sure! But the fact is, I couldn't do any of these things when I was a callow 20-something.
So, the 30s are special in that way. Also, I think I look better now than in my 20s and also have a strong sneaking feeling that it's all downhill from here on, so that's another reason to be happy :)
I celebrated by not exercising (hey, its my birthday, I shouldn't have to do stuff I dislike!). Ads made me a cute card. He's been making it behind closed doors for the last 2 days, in fits and spurts. I was commanded not to peek inside his room, ever. He spoilt the surprise somewhat by popping up every now and then to ask me the spellings of "birth", "Aparna" and "dear". My "gift" was the contents of his piggy bank - some 10 rupee notes and several coins of foreign currency which S had discarded :)
A day after my birthday, he came and gave me the card that Y had made, along with him. They'd both forgotten about it! Kids!!!

19 comments:

  1. Belated Birthday wishes!! I noticed towards the end of the day on FB, but have been anti "Gumbal" wishing on FB nowadays, so didn't add my shout-out there sorry!!

    Sooo cute that card sounds.. pictures please :).

    Once again nodding head at your descriptions of your 20s.. We've come a long way haven't we.. my birthday comes up in a few days too :)..

    ReplyDelete
  2. for someone who's dreading the 30s, ur post is really very encouraging :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aparna: I somehow had a feeling you were Virgo too :) When is the bday? is there a fb update out there? I don't mind "gumbal-wishing"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Yuvika: Hmm...aren't the 30s the new 20s or something? :) Not to worry - I've been known to quote that being 25 means having one foot in the grave...but I'm still here :) The 30s rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated happy birthday Aparna! when was the b'day?
    Hey Aparnas, I am a Virgo too!!! b'day coming up..:-)
    I can so relate to the "finding myself in the 20s". Marriage I think was the point of transition for me. I began to have a defined opinion of things that were not influenced by other's thoughts.
    And for me too, I think I look better and feel better than I did in my 20s. Is it the Virgo thing??
    So sweet and thoughtful of Ads..
    do post some pics too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uma: Thanks....mine was on Sep 2. What! Another Virgo! That's so cool! :))) When's yours, then? I'll post some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice nice.. we turned out to be a Virgo mommy bloggers sub-group :). I'm sure if we scrounge more we'll find some family connections too as all of us are connected to Chennai.. it's a small world after all as we already found out!
    Mine is on Sep 15th.. the big halfway mark .. weird how as you inch closer to 40 you don't actually feel "old" though when we were in our 20s, anyone this age would have been "ancient" ;) !!
    Aparna - I used to be an ardent FB "wisher", then somewhere along the way the compulsion to wish people whom I'm actually hardly in touch with felt hollow and i completely gave up, I know that means I sometimes miss out on wishing when I should.. will remember that :). Mine is not on FB for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, a great post! :) This post totally reflects the thoughts of a wise person :) congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Aparna: Oh ok, I understand, I'll remember to wish u *discreetly* on the d-day. So ...35 huh? I passed that hurdle last year :) Is it only me or do I see a distinct trend in people having kids a lot later these days. Everyone I know has had kids atleast 5 years after marriage, so they're already in mid-30s when the oldest kid is just 5-6 years old. When my mom was 35, I was already 12 years old! I know its just a generation thingy but it seems like a big difference between this gen and the last.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @L_R: Thanks :) I AM wise :) Good you noticed..LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine is on 12th Sep.
    and yes Aparna, you're right about family connections..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haaabbeee Birddddaaay tooo youuuuuuuu...Happy happy birthday.
    My God, I'm almost jealous...all you three Virgo mommies are sounding so in sync.
    And gawd...you've packed it all so succinctly -- the 20s and 30s...it's so true for most of us in most parts I guess.
    I'm also gonna say my bit of "me too" here -- I "grew up" somewhere when I was about 27 I guess :-) and boy!!! Even I was in post-partum pain on my 30th Bday...just got home the night before Bday from hospital! What a co-incidence...feels good to know someone else was squirming in pain and eating birthday cake at the same time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Forever mother. The part abt squirming in pain is right. But I wasn't eating any cake :( I spent the whole of my 30th bday in the FOULEST mood, childishly refusing to even take bday calls becos I was like...what the hell is there to celebrate...this pain is killing me...waaahhhh!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated wishes on your bday. I think it is nice to enjoy every moment of life and take it on stride. Very well written post. Each day is an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Sumana...each day I feel like a survivor..don't we all!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday, even if I am not a Virgo wisher! :-D

    I see the 40s being even more awesome than the 30s...shall get there next year and honestly, it seems like real freedom. I loved the 30s for exactly the same reasons you mention. According to Maya Angelou, the 70s rock the most. So don't go looking down the precipice anytime soon!

    p.s: Did you get a comment I made for the Ads birthday party post? I thought I did but now I am not sure....or is it age playing tricks on my mind?! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sangi, thanks for the wishes :) Yeah I feel the 40s are going to be good too, the career wll defly (hopefully) take an upward turn never mind if everything else sags ;)
    Never got the comment on Ads bday post - pretty sure - care to comment now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated happy budday!

    And LOLing at him asking for the spellings! Kids are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)