Kids

Kids

Thursday 22 September 2011

Learning to swim - I

It seems a little silly to set down that it has taken me 3 decades and a half to get off my backside and start learning how to swim, especially since I have spent atleast 2 decades of this time wanting to learn how to swim. Apparently, my desire must not have been very strong, else I suppose I would have made the time to do it. Let me see what reasons I came up with (mind, some of these were legitimate). When I was at school/college, there wasn't any place handy I could learn plus I'm not sure my parents would have advanced me the money! This is legit reason#1. When I moved out of Chennai and went to study in Bangalore, I was too busy and exhausted. When I lived in Bombay as a single working girl, I had tons of free time but no discipline. After I got married, again, I could have easily enrolled at any of the hotel pools and learnt my basics, but I was busy pretending to be the high-powered corporate executive that I was not! The same sad saga of multiple wasted opportunities repeats itself in Bangalore and in the US. 
Last week, I received a renewed impetus to grab the bull by the horns and just do it when a friend/neighbour mentioned that the new coach at our complex pool was pretty good and did I want to take swimming classes with her? I agreed, almost without thinking, very aware that I had postponed this skill acquisition for way too long. We started on Sunday evening when I struggled to blow bubbles and kick back with my legs, holding on to the side of the pool for dear life. It has only been a very few classes yet and the fond hope that I had harboured that I might find myself to be a natural swimmer, have been dashed to the ground! Once again, as in so many other pursuits, I find to my regret that I have no natural talent whatsoever and any skills I will acquire will be the result of sheer plodding.
But -- plodding is something I am good at :) We are running against time here since the pool is only open for another 2 weeks and odd, and will subsequently reopen only in April. I have to finish my 12 classes before then. More importantly, I need to end the season with the satisfaction of learning a little something which I can improve upon next summer. Good luck to myself! :)

9 comments:

  1. Hey...that's awesome that you've started your swimming classes and nay, it is not silly. As they say, there is no age limit to learn anything. Having said that, I myself need to motivate myself to learn to swim. I have no idea when and how I shall be doing this.
    Hence Kudos to you to have the courage to do it!
    Is this the reason for your absence from the blogosphere?
    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Ah, another hopeful begins the struggle. But it is super satisfying when you make even a wee bit of progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again the Virgos have something in common - late swimmers all :). All the best, I'm sure in a couple more classes your natural instincts will kick in!

    I learnt a couple of years back with big hoopla and all - my decision factor was that I wanted to be comfortable in the water before i teach/get the kids taught to swim :). I can just about manage something, but have made very poor use of it thereafter :(. D has still not been enrolled in swimming class as last summer still felt too soon, and thereafter the weather in Bangalore is not very conducive to jumping in the pool - atleast that's my excuse ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Uma: One of the main reasons why I could start taking the class now is because both kids are at school. Its gonna be difficult for u until R is out of the house for atleast a couple of hours. But I see u have already started the hunt for preschools so good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Aparna: Yes my reason for learning was the same as yours, that before my kids start learning to swim, I shd know a little bit atleast so that I can dive into the pool to rescue them if need be :) Though I know that flapping around in the shallow end would not really help much in an emergency ;)
    Hopefully advaith will start next summer. I hear what you say abt Blr weather not being conducive. But hopefully all of u will get down to it in the summer?!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos. It takes a good deal of bravery to push ones self to learn swimming and am not joking.
    Here is something to ponder.. its difficult to drown ones self as long as one does not breath and if you do breath you'll drown.
    How is that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Aparna. You will learn it am sure pretty soon! I learned it only after finishing grad school and finally moved to where my husband was working at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Life_refactored: Good one! When the coach asked me what I know abt swimming, I said "Sir, I know how to drown" Smart retort huh? :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Noon, thanks...hope so! There are other mommies also learning alongside..it gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)