Kids

Kids

Monday 11 July 2011

Y's vision update and new school

All good! Her number has changed a little, which the doc assures me may happen often pretty often as she grows. So she has new lenses now and is getting used to them. The thing I was worried about was that we would have to patch the eye. The doc says - no need, for now atleast and she wants to review her after 2 months and see how its going. So Amma and Appa are pretty relieved, for now, and a lot less anxious!
Y has also started school again. It's one of the schools we had considered for Ads. We had really liked it and the reason we didn't admit him there was that kids from Grade 1 onwards were being shifted to a larger and nicer campus almost 10-12 km from our home, which would have been too long a commute for the little guy. But playschool until KG is in a small campus not too far from our place so that's where Y is going. We dropped her off on Friday which was her first day and she, characteristically, was quite nonchalant about separating from us. The teacher even called later to say that she was totally fine and that I don't need to pick her up in the afternoon and they would send her home in the school van! Day 2 is today and she went off without a backward glance, in the school van. The girl astonishes me with her coolness (something she has doubtless inherited from her father), especially because my whole mental framework is so oriented towards Ads personality/temperament. It is difficult for me to reorient myself a whole 180 degrees to deal with Y! Difficult or not, I'm so glad she is strong and phlegmatic. A few days ago, I was dropping Ads at the bus-stop and all of a sudden I realized I'd forgotten to pack his water bottle. There were a few minutes left for the bus to arrive, so I asked one of the other moms to keep and eye on him and ran back to our flat to get the water bottle. BIG mistake! I knew even then that on my return, I'd find Ads crying and guess what - I was right! My sins: #1: I sped off at a second's notice, and didn't give him a full 10-15 minutes to mull over the sudden change in plan #2: I left him ALL ALONE at the bus stop (evidently the 8 other children and their maids/moms did not count as people whom he knows) #3: It was MY mistake that I had not packed his water bottle. If I had packed it, I would not have had to put him through all this trauma!!!! 
See what I mean? :) 

15 comments:

  1. Wow..Y is a cool young lady...and i know when you talk about Ads and Y being diametrically opposite..My elder sis was always a complete extrovert and I was the timid and painfully shy girl during our growing up days..quite different in every way..sometimes i used to wonder how come we got born into the same family..but as time passed by, we kinda averaged out (i.e. i managed to come out of my shell) and now i can say we are similar in many ways...:-)
    So, even if you are a little worried abt Ads (am jus assuming you are a little concerned..i may be wrong)..i would say its too early...dont worry..some things are best left for time to teach..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that Yukta's vision has improved. Good news indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad to hear about Y's vision improvement - must have been a big relief for you both! I can not even imagine what it would be like to go through this experience.
    Ads and the bus stop story - Do you remember http://apster.blogspot.com/2011/06/overwhelmed.html where i mentioned running to the bus stop with the water bottle. One previous time, I had gone to drop her and I called hubby to come and give the bottle as she started tearing up at my mention of leaving and coming back! LOL at our children's similar personalities :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Uma. I don't remember where I read this very interesting article which basically talked about how siblings unconsciously behave DIFFERENTLY when they are together, in order to emphasize their differences. In order to find out their true personalities, they shd be studied when they are apart, and in this way you can make out a lot more similarities. It was very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aparna: yes U remember that post....LOL...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aparna - I mean I remember that post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, your post reminded me too of the post- in think we r referring to the same one-i read a while ago. I immediately googled it: http://www.npr.org/2010/11/18/131424595/siblings-share-genes-but-rarely-personalities..

    it is this right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think by the time the kids hit their teens (the horror!), you'll be glad for Ads predictability, while Y is gonna give you guys some severe heart burns and sleepless nights!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know she doesn't need the patching. I hear you about the 180 degree turn in handling opposites...I'm soon going to have split personalities, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uma: Bang-on, thanks, I was wondering where I'd read it!
    Deepta: The way Y is getting spoilt by your cousin, I'm washing my hands off her after she turns 10 :) Can you believe it, he asks ME to apologize if I scold her and she starts crying for some mistake SHE'S done !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Aparna
    It's heartening to know Y doesn't need an eye patch. I'm sure things will get better on that front as she grows up. It must be such a big sigh of relief for you...can only imagine a mother's tension on such fronts. Take care
    And boy is she cool...if she can walk off to new school on day two, I think she's the Queen of Cool (knock wood). Congrats on her settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My god!! it was like reading about MY kids. Kuttan is the soft, sentimental one and princess is one cool customer! I think younger ones are born bindass! Did the post on your tag finally btw....sorry about the delay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Starry: Thanks. Many moms seem to be dealing with this problem of dealing with very different personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forever Mother: Yup, queen of cool describes it well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bangaloremom: great! (off to read ur post now)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)