Kids

Kids

Friday 15 July 2011

Sick, home alone and raring to read

The better half is away holidaying...err...working.... in Johannesburg and dutiful and affectionate wife that I am, I have been sending some malevolent and envious thoughts in the direction of the Dark Continent. Descriptions of how he saw Mandela's house, how he had a multiple course English afternoon tea, complete with scones and 5 different types of jam, and how he is staying in the best hotel in Johannesburg, which hosts the likes of Will Smith and Shakira, is not making me feel good :(
As a result of my vibes, the poor guy has actually not managed to see much of the city and has been staying up till 2 am some nights to get his work done (evil laugh). Okay, I'm not normally this wicked. But two reasons. First - It is freaking HOT in here! Really, I can deal with the heat but the heat and humidity combination makes me collapse. The next person who tells me that I am from Chennai and therefore should be used to such weather is going to get a sharp kick from me. Chennai heat is nothing, read nothing, on Delhi's. It doesn't sap you and make you go all nuts in the head, for one. The silver lining (if that is what it is) is that it has been so hot that it can't possibly get any worse (am I jinxing myself?) and it does feel like the oppressive heat that precedes a good dose of rain. But we'll have to wait and see whether my prediction comes true.
Second reason - I have been down with the viral, again, just a day after S left. The first couple of days were bad, especially the morning hours when I had to get 2 lunches and 2 kids ready for school and out the door by 7.20. Can you blame me for being catty and mean?!! (Hint: DON'T! :)). I was planning to spend the week luxuriating in a few hours of nothing-to-do everyday; instead I spent a lot of it in bed, snoozing and fighting the infection. However, I did manage to sign up for an online library here, a temptation I have resisted for a whole year, in the interest of maintaining my focus on studying. But ...woo-hoo! I can finally start reading again, so please please do send me book recos. It should be easy because a) I read EVERYTHING except management and spiritual books b) I have been out of the reading loop by choice for almost 2 years so I have a lot of catching up to do. Gosh, I feel so happy just thinking about the possibilities! :)

10 comments:

  1. I gave you a parenting book link... (HINT:READ IT NOW.. THIS IS GOD's WAY OF GIVING YOU A SIGN. WRITING IN CAPS DOESNT MEAN ANYTING)
    About the weather... here is what i've got to say.. "you are from Chennai and therefore should be used to such weather.." so sue me
    Life is a circle .. you spoil hubby's little tour, god gives you the flu.. guess he is the one doing the Evil Laugh..... do you hear that echo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How i wish.. I can be able to read like you. Just don't get enough continuous time, always in bits and pieces. Take care with the viral flu, can be hard when you have to care for the kids solely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be envious of hubby too if i were in your place..
    but you are getting to read...that's a plus...without disturbance...another plus..hopefully you are over with the flu very soon..
    take care..wish you good health and err..good weather too...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sumana: Thanks...yeah bits and pieces here as well but that's better than nothing!
    Uma: Thanks, more than the good health, I really need the good weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLing at dutiful n affectionate wife sending malevolent thoughts! Hugs and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Aparna..dnt knw if you noticed..i finished doing your tag long ago...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three Cups of Tea. The book reference. And from the sounds of you, would help to get several more, pretty literally.

    Totally with you on the heat in Delhi. I hate Chennai's heat too. Can't think...and there's a water problem meaning you can't even wash it all off. For a few seconds, because the only place one does not sweat is the parts that the shower's already wetting! Delhi's bad. The rain's not helping?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sangitha: There IS no rain! What is this monsoon they are talking about? Hope North India has not missed it. We had 2 days of rain, then...pffff...nothing..I've read 3 cups of tea and loved it. Was disappointed with all the controversies/allegations surrounding Mortenson's charity that surfaced recently, hope they are not true. The book was so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So weird that I missed reading this one, and seeing it now just when hubby has left for a business trip to the US. I have threatened him in advance that if he extends the week by even another couple of days to "have fun in Vegas" or some such plan, I might leave the children with my parents and run away by the time he gets back, feel like i'm just going crazy handling them by myself some days !!

    Hope you're health is back to normal now, I shall not be evil and remind you of Bangalore weather - oops looks like I just did ;). Of course if you look at it from the allergy/flu point of view we are definitely worse off.

    I am from Chennai too, and HATE going back there in summer now after being in Bangalore for the last 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aparna - I've always said this...bangalore folks are SPOILT!!!! :)) Good luck with being home alone with the kids...it's a chance to feel like supermom!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)