Kids

Kids

Thursday 21 July 2011

Chores

At what age should kids start doing more chores around the house, and what should these be? I've been thinking about this because I think it is very very important that kids develop a sense of ownership, even pride, in their home and it's environs. I expect my kids to grow up making their own beds, clearing up after themselves (no flinging schoolbags and shoes randomly as soon as they get back from school!), keeping their rooms clean and in general helping mom and dad around the house. Because it's their house too, and they are not non-paying guests! Ads (and due to his influence, now Y) has always been very good about cleaning up his toys after playing, from a very early age. It was something I always insisted on and they both don't give me any grief over it. Now Ads is definitely old enough to shoulder some additional responsibility, other than keeping his room clean.
When he gets back home from school, he puts away his bag, keeps his lunch sack near the kitchen sink, puts away his shoes, undresses and throws the soiled uniform into the laundry basket and chooses his own clothes to wear after his bath (which he takes all by himself). He has also, most days, been folding his freshly-laundered clothes and putting them away. In the morning also, he takes a bath by himself and would dress himself except that we are in a tearing hurry at that point and can't wait for him to struggle with buttons and straps. At mealtimes, I expect him to put his plate/bowl away and get his own water. Note that technically, I don't even consider any of these as "chores" because he isn't doing anything out of the way but only managing himself and his possessions.
However, laying aside that semantic technicality, are there other easy chores that he can do? I can't ask him to lay the table because we hardly ever have a proper sit down dinner. S eats later than the three of us because by the time he gets home, the kids are usually at the end of their meal and I am just beginning mine. The mornings are too rushed for me to ask Ads to fix his own breakfast (though I could probably do this on weekends). He already makes me a cup of green tea on request :) 
Blast - that's the problem with India - so many of the domestic services like cleaning, dusting, dishwashing and ironing are now outsourced!!! So, does anyone have any suggestions for this slave-driver of a mother? :) Or is he doing well for an almost-6 year old? Have any of you paid your kids (in cash or kind) for special tasks or even general chores? 

10 comments:

  1. I got to read this post for my daughter or she can read it herself with a little mommy intervention. He does so much for his age. No comparing but i really admire him. My younger one is fiercely independent and i leave him that way. My elder girl is so moody that she does things in good moods but otherwise, god help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Aparna! COngrats..Ads is doing so much! I mean I totally share your views on kids sharing work at home but at least if they can manage themselves without intervention and constant nagging I think half the battle is won. The main idea is to get through them that be it a boy or a girl, they need to do housework. This topic is personally close to me. Maybe will do a post on this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaw hanging in awe .. :)..

    Though I technically try to get D to do most of the above stuff, it's a battle all the way, with me waiting for her to do it, and finally reminding gently/ungently/finally shouting to get the job done :(. Ads seems to be doing a great job - please do Dhristi/Nazar :).

    The only chores I have tried are setting the table, even if it's just getting the plates out, and filling the water bottles - we have a water dispenser with a tap so it's easy for her to do it. Once again, it started taking too much reminding/shouting to get chores done so I'm taking a break for now :).

    Uma - about the boy/girl issue - my mom-in-law always tells me as to how her sons used to be able to make coffee/tea on their own though I've seen no evidence of the same ;). Agree with you completely on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sumana. He's a good kid :)
    Uma: Yes you must do a post! I'll look forward to it. Totally agree with you that all kids (and adults!) need to pull their weight around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aparna: I am not sure what helps in a situation where the kids won't do chores. Some kind of bribing may be in order :)
    High-five with you abt not having seen any evidence of even basic cooking skills in my mother-in-law's son :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess they both are doing pretty fine for their age. I'd even stick my neck out and say they are ahead of the curve. Come'on.. I'm still behind the curve myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life_refactored: I don't know you, but why am I not surprised? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend wrote this article. Might be of some help?

    http://www.womensweb.in/item/take-your-kids-to-task.html

    I agree that these are normal things to expect a child to do, part of them taking ownership in their own lives and homes and for themselves. And as far as they only help themselves, it's hardly a chore, right? It's just basic independence - a right that we need to ensure every child has.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sangitha: true. Thanks for sharing the article.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life_refactored: I don't know you, but why am I not surprised? :)


    You are not surprised coz you have a pretty accurate mental picture of my greatness!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)