Kids

Kids

Tuesday 6 November 2012

And baby turns four

So the littlest one turned 4 a few days ago and she has been punching above her weight for so long now that I have to sometimes do a double check. FOUR? That's how old she is? Only FOUR?
She's pretty tall for her age, well atleast more than averagely tall (maybe she'll get mine and my family's tall genes!). People tell me she looks thinner now than a few months ago but she's actually been getting heavier and taller so she looks a lot leggier. With her glasses and her shy smile, she looks older than she is. She's a lot (a LOT!) more mature than Ads at the same age (I still shudder to relive his threes). Many a time she will run to me and whisper "Anna is in a bad mood!"
Y is quiet in company and with strangers as well as in school. But she must have a split personality because she is a whirlwind at home, a huge bundle of energy that lights up every moment of our lives Having said that, it takes her a lot of time to warm up to people. What really helps is if they know Tamil because she is not all that comfortable in Hindi and English.
She loves books, pink and purple, dancing, shiny glittery stuff (yuck!), long hair, puris, salad, ketchup and all manner of junk food. She confidently proclaims that the peregrine falcon is her favourite bird and the T-Rex her favourite dinosaur (elder bro's influence clearly at play here!). Hero-worshipping and following Ads has meant that art, craft and reading has taken center-stage and she entirely skipped the whole stage of make-believe play (maybe it will come later).
It sounds cliched but I'll say it anyway. She is truly the light of my life. She's good, and obedient, and polite, and helpful and very very mature. She's naughty, but not the kind of naughty that gives a parent panic attacks. Just the kind of naughty that makes you smile, sigh a little (yell a little, in my case!) and move on. She's very comical and can do startlingly good impersonations for her age (some talent there, maybe?)
She is curious, and intelligent, and affectionate, and very perceptive. Perhaps wearing glasses at an early age have given her some extra acuity. She's quick to pick up on cues and knows very well when someone is talking about her, though sometimes she will pretend not to have heard.
There are so many ways in which she has changed in the last year, and yet she's retained all the nice things and caught none of the nasty toddler habits. For which I am very grateful.
When I am rushing back home in the afternoons, that's generally the time that my energy is at an all-time low. I'm usually yawning my head off in the metro and longing to take a nap. I usually only have enough time to run home an drop my bag off before heading downstairs again to pick up Y at the bus stop. Magically, my spirits and my energy levels rise dramatically when I see her. She's all I need to get through the rest of my day.
My daughter, my delight. Every day in every way.

17 comments:

  1. awww...such a loving post from a doting mother for her sweet and cute little daughter. I so want to meet A and Y..:-)
    A belated happy happy birthday to Y :-))))
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Uma.
      Meeting will happen soon :))

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet sweet post! A very happy birthday to little Y! It's funny and nice too how siblings complement each other in so many ways, and give us parents the best of both the worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chatty wren. Yes sometimes I wonder what life would have been like with 1 kid and not 2..

      Delete
  3. Awww... that is such a sweet post. God bless her and a very Happy B'day to her :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww this is such a sweet post! Wishing Y a very happy birthday! :)

    Y reminds me of myself in childhood. In a lot of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy B'day Y!!
    And Yukta is a very nice name .. For a very nice girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gasp ! 4 already? !! Wasn't she just 2 and a half :) ?

    Such a lovely post Aparna, she is going to cherish reading this when she grows up !!

    Happy Birthday (belated by now I guess) to dear Yukta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks apster...I like writing bday posts :)

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday Yukta!

    Aparna - you are right - I myself said, "what only four?". She gives off a mature feeling (in the way she conducts herself from reading the posts)...and she talks and understands a lot for her age. "Anna is in a bad mood" - that's pretty good for her age. I didn't realize KG was 1yr 5m older than Y.
    So many things you have written about Y remind me of KG. Except KG does a ton of imaginary play by herself with her cars and dolls and what not which KB did not do at that age. But the hero worship, the naughtiness, looking tall for her age are all the same. Very sweet birthday post! Hugs and best wishes to Y.
    I have been preoccupied with so many things, big one being the move to another place (local move only, still a move) and so on. I wanted to write about the Halloween excitement etc but did not get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks noon, for the wishes and hugs!
      Hope u have settled into the new place. Look forward to the Halloween posts.

      Delete
  8. Nice post Aparna. Yuktha is really a delight, cute and endearing. Wishes to her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "sama" aunty, when are you visiting next? Feb please!

      Delete

  9. Hi,
    This is Tanushree Nayudu from Praxis Media Mumbai,wanted to talk in context to the brand which i handle Simba Toys. Please let me know when will be the good time to talk about this brand.Thanks

    Tanushree.praxis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)