Kids

Kids

Tuesday 14 October 2008

First day of preschool


3rd Sep arrived. It started off badly enough. A had woken up in the middle of the night, in the grasp of a night-terror. It was obvious to us that the thought of school was making him apprehensive. In the morning, he maintained that he would NOT go to school and he would NOT get ready. It took a lot of cajoling and bribing (I’ll buy you a firefighter costume if you get ready for school!) before he would get dressed and eat breakfast. He obligingly posed with a smile for the camera as I crouched behind it, feeling horribly sad and terribly proud all at once. I’d chickened out of dropping him at school, fearing he’d never let me go so S had to do the honours. We were saved by the bell – the fire-truck bell! As soon as they entered the classroom, A saw a fire-truck and a firefighter’s costume and he was set for the day! S lingered for 20 mins and silently made his exit when he saw that A was playing happily in his corner. I was skulking in the car, feeling miserable and edgy (for no reason, as it turned out). When S came back to the car with a smile on his face, I knew everything must have been smooth and that’s when I stopped biting my nails. Much ado about nothing? That should be the title of this blog post!


Since then, he has loved going to school and Ms Pam is one of his favourite people. He doesn’t allow me to stay for more than a couple of minutes at drop-off time. I am dismissed with a casual wave of the hand and a perfunctory kiss.
As they say, the separation anxiety is always more for the mom than for the child!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts :)