Kids

Kids

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Living it up in New York - Part 2

It is nearing the end of our 2-week stay in New York. We've reached the happy stage of having ticked off all the touristy must-dos. I took the kids on the Water taxi ride and went up to the Top of the Rock. We've gone to Central Park not once or twice but three times. We have gorged on some seriously good food. Some really tasty pizzas and pastas and some excellent Mediterranean. Yesterday the children had falafel for the first time (Ads has actually tasted it many times before while we were living in this country but he's forgotten) and they absolutely loved it. 
Before S went back to India, we did a leisurely 2-day trip to the Niagara Falls in upstate New York. While it was too cold there even now, this late in spring,  for our tropical constitutions, a trip to the Falls is a must-do. The town of Niagara Falls itself is quite unimpressive but the falls themselves are so awe-inspiring that they make up the deficit.  
These days, we are taking things easy. There are tons of other things to see/do yet, but I'd rather capitalize on the extra time to really get into the skin of the city; a luxury afforded by a longish vacation where room and board are largely taken care of! We aren't rushing around trying to pack everything into a few days. This is the first time that I'm experiencing the magic of slow travel and I'm absolutely loving it! NYC isn't a beautiful city like some others we've visited - San Francisco, Sydney and Vancouver come immediately to mind. It's far more like an Indian city, Delhi or Mumbai for example. It's a city not to be merely seen or admired for its dramatic skyline. It's a city to be experienced for its raw energy, to be walked around in, a city to have its quirks uncovered and have its layers peeled away, one after the other. 
It is such a cosmopolitan place that my new game is to figure out which country the people I meet or cross on the street are. Sometimes, its really easy, because they are speaking on the phone or among themselves in an easily recognizable language - Italian, or French or Spanish. Most times, its hard- like the cleaner at my friend's place whose English accent I was trying to place and who turned out to be from Guyana!
As for the children, they have been troopers. Which they normally are, of course, but given the amount of walking one has to do in this city, I had braced myself for some serious whining. My kids are too used to going everywhere by car or cab and they've hardly ever done any serious walking. But hey presto, they have been walking for hours here everyday without complaint, eating whatever is offered to them happily and for the first few days atleast, keeping pace enthusiastically with the packed itinerary.
Finally, the biggest take-away has been the quality time spent with my friend J. This has been our longest time together in the same space since we were roommates during MBA. Even though we've been meeting on and off over the years, nothing does the trick as much as extended time spent together, and I'm so glad to know that we've made the most of it.
I'm sad to be leaving so soon, but hey, the vacation hasn't ended yet :)

8 comments:

  1. Vish calls NYC the tourist hell hole with way too many "*beep* points". I don't want to write the actual word for "beep" cos its, well, racist in our desi way :D.
    I need to do the Broadway too - I shud have the first time around but was too eager to check of all the other must-sees -d id u guys walk the brooklyn bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! :) Sounds like you are doing loads of that already, though! :)

    When are you back to India?

    Slow travel is lovely. I am craving for an experience like that, where I can travel slowly, a longish holiday, where food and lodging is taken care of. I wish that day comes soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back mid may to Bangalore, off to chennai for a bit then finally back for good in end may.

      Delete
    2. Yeah the slow travel experience is something else!

      Delete
  3. 2 weeks in a city is the dream :). I refuse to do Europe or any city in the US unless I can have at least a week to be there ;). Sounds like such fun!!! Waiting for you to ping me once you're back in Namma Bengaluru :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree...and I want to hear all about your northern travels too! I am going to madras for a bit but back in end may.

      Delete
  4. Wow and wow. Taking a long holiday in New York is one of my top travel to-dos!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)