Kids

Kids

Monday 20 May 2013

Hindsight

Sometimes it takes a 6-month old niece to be snoozing peacefully on your shoulder for 45 minutes to realize what you missed with your own kids when they were babies.
Flashback to S reclining for hours on our lazyboy, Ads and later Y fast asleep on his shoulder, encircled in his strong warm arms. I would repeatedly ask him to put them down in the bed so that he could get on with whatever else he had to do. 
He would reply, simply: I don't have anything to do that's better than this.
As my adorable niece breathed softly into my neck, I craved for a few more such peaceful hours with her, while my kids squabbled noisily in the background. I really hadn't got it the first two times, had I?
Seems like you need a third kid to bring that perspective into a mother's life :)

12 comments:

  1. OK we are waiting..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's probably the distance that adds this perspective...as a mother you are too close. You can feel that way for other people's kids or for the memory of your own when they were younger. For your own, in the actual moment, you are too caught up with wondering about poopy diapers, other work or sleep that needs to be caught up on.
    Daddy's end up being so wise only because they are not the mommies and therefore never quite as consumed by the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, however what I left unsaid was the fact that I did have the time to enjoy these moments with my kids....and I did.....but S kept telling me to chill more wih them and I never did that

      Delete
    2. Being more mindful of these things is the takeaway I guess...or maybe it's just nostalgia as my kids get older :)

      Delete
  3. lol, on the last line:) I just don't think I will be a very patient mom this time around. Agree to the comment above mine, fathers are not that involved most of the times, so can enjoy the now without needing to be prepared with needs of half an hour later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree. See my replies to pigglemums comment.

      Delete
  4. so, now u can plan a third :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho Ho....or maybe I'll just plan an annual manya fix :)

      Delete
  5. LOL @ the last line. Are you trying to say something else between the lines? ;)

    Awww awww awww at this post. What could be better than that, honestly? What better way to spend time than that? I could spend hours that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are BRAVE! To even be talking about a 3rd ;). Don't know how I seem to have missed so many of your posts, have been lax with my reading in the last month as I can see.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)