Kids

Kids

Saturday 16 March 2013

One down, one to go

I went for my usual morning walk today. When I came back, the kids were up. The huge (and obviously, very pleasant) surprise was that Ads had brushed his teeth and done potty AND he had brushed Y's teeth and cleaned her potty!!
Is my work here done, or what?? :)
Ads has been more or less taking care of his own stuff for the last few months. Bathing, potty, wearing clothes and so on. He has trouble with buttoning shirt cuffs, clasping his belt and so on. We haven't even gone anywhere near shoe-laces yet. But having him take care of his own toilette frees up a large amount of time.
Lately, I have also been getting him to do some outside chores. Pay the electricity and maintenance bills, for one. He needs to drop the cheque at the office downstairs and wait until the surly manager draws up a receipt. He has been buying simple groceries like milk, yogurt, paneer etc from the shop downstairs. That is also an exercise in addition and subtraction since I always give him a 100 or 500 Re note and ask him to calculate how much change he should be bringing back. He recently started charging a commission of 10 bucks for every transaction he carried out, and we are still arguing about that because according to me, you don't get paid for chores like these and anyway he eats most of the milk and paneer that we buy :)
Next up, he wants to learn how to make his own breakfast (simple toast and oatmeal), soap his back and strap on his watch :)

18 comments:

  1. Wow, I say!
    The first born taking off independently and also pitching in with sibling and household chores is one of the rich dividends you are reaping for sowing the seeds of effective parenting..kudos to you, Aparna!
    I'll be coming to you for a lot of tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks uma.
      Not sure how much to do with me. He's just a chamatthu kid :)

      Delete
  2. aww so cute - he actually cleaned Y up?? And yayay for all the chores u make him do - yes, I believe in child labor too :D :P.
    Making his own breakfast - wow!

    i am thinking when he is here - we can handover manya's diaper duties and cereal feeding to him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're thinking on the right lines Yuvika :) smart!!

      Delete
  3. Very cute post :)
    What a responsible kid and bro he is!! Kudos to your parenting skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aarthy...not sure how much is due to me, but will take the credit anyways :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I am so impressed! How v. sweet of Ads to clean up Y!! I have a long way to go with mine, since we insist on water to clean up, managing on her own is a little bit tricky for Big G unless I am ok to mopping floors everytime after. Chores is a nice idea to instill responsibility and ownership, will give it a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup understand the problem out there with floors having to be dry always. We have the spillage problem as well, but he's getting better now so I guess its just a matter of practice.

      Delete
  5. This is such a hope giving post. Love the possibilities that it opens up. Good luck on the back scrubbing. There are some adults in our house who can still barely manage it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I must confess I'm not so great at it either :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, you surely believe in step-by-step development of your kids! Quite impressive! :)

    LOL @ the 10 bucks commission for each transaction. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we are still negotiating on that one :)

      Delete
  7. hmmm so unlike him to charge for doing those chores. I have a feeling he must have got the idea from elsewhere. Totally agree with you about not wanting to 'pay' him for these services. I mean we all have to learn to do stuff without expecting something in return. The sooner we learn that lesson, the better.

    I love, though, how he helps Y with her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he got that idea from **elsewhere**...his friends??? That's one reason I'm glad to be moving out of here.

      Delete
  8. Wow! that is a big milestone in mommyland.
    V has been mostly getting ready on her own for the past six months (she'll be 5 in April) but she does need help with soaping and putting lotion on her back, washing after potty, hooking up the back of her school pinafore (come to think of that I don't think adults can do that on their own either).
    What I'm really impressed with is the shopping and stuff that Ads is doing. That's a great experience for a child his age. The best part though is his negotiating for a commission :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the shopping and stuff is ideal from my point of view because, unlike when we were growing up, he doesn't have to cross a road or anything to do this. Its a safe environment. Slowly I want to transiton him to more chores.
      I think what V is doing is pretty good for her age. My daughter thankfully has a no-fuss school uniform (she'll turn 5 in Nov) so that helps.

      Delete
  9. Hi Aparna.

    Where does one write to you (as in e-mail)?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)