Kids

Kids

Friday 8 March 2013

Afternoon rambling

Slowly and surely, it's all falling into place. The familiar feeling of being suspended in-limbo has taken over and the heart has guarded and steeled itself against any unexpected emotional responses and withdrawal symptoms.
The house in Bangalore is being painted and necessary repairs done. A hotel has been identified close to it where we'll stay for the week or 10 days that we have to wait for our goods to follow us from Gurgaon. Friends have been commandeered during this time to provide moral support and shopping companionship as I sally forth to buy furniture, curtains and rugs for the much larger place we are moving into. Peeps in Bangalore, much appreciate recos on places to buy all of the above -- we'll be staying in Whitefield, so please don't suggest places in JP Nagar!! FYI, I strongly veer towards traditional Indian work.
The schools have been given notice, as have my maid and cook, who are understandably sad at my leaving. Even if I say so myself, S and I are very good employers - I pay above market rates because I think a good househelp is the greatest treasure anyone can have (and its a hard job as anyone knows!), I do atleast of the quarter of the work assigned to the help by myself (I like washing dishes and doing laundry!), I'm generous with loans and advances (and I've never been taken for a ride - yet) and most importantly, we travel so much that the help has atleast a week off every month! :) Last minute shopping has been done. We're getting some furniture custom-made - Delhi is really good for that sort of thing and you have excellent carpenters and woodworkers here. The car will be sold in a couple of days. Fortunately, our current place is very centrally-located and it won't be a major hardship to be bereft of a set of wheels. The movers have come looked at the stuff we have and provided a quote, which has been duly accepted.
It helps that the weather here seems to have moved seamlessly from winter to summer with no suggestion of spring! It makes the thought of moving to cooler and infinitely pleasanter climes so much easier! I've been trying to find one good thing about the summer in Delhi-NCR for the last three years and have come up with precisely one reason. My appetite drops so dramatically during the season that all I consume is loads of water, lime juice and icecream. Plus I try and swim almost everyday, with the result its the time of year I look the most fit and toned (if a little wilted). The one silver lining!
Another 2 weeks to go! It's been a good innings here (nonwithstanding the gun that was pointed at the husband a couple of years ago - remind me to relate that incident sometime!). I have never had any major separation pangs while moving; sometimes I wonder whether it's a coping mechanism I developed early on to deal with frequent relocations. When we moved to the US from Bangalore, a dearly-loved city, the tears that flowed were only because I did not know when I would be seeing my parents again. When we left San Francisco, there was anxiety about a new life in India, worries about Ads being able to adjust, but no regret about leaving that golden land. Perhaps, the new economic reality for many of us is that India is the golden land of opportunity, much as the USA used to be a couple of generations ago!
Enough rambling for one afternoon, I guess :) Time to go and prep Ads for his admission test!

17 comments:

  1. Whitefield is one of the areas I really like in Bangalore .. I have been there quite a few times to visit the Sathya Sai ashram and recently to do service at the hospital .. I really liked the sights that I passed during the to and fro bus journey ..
    As for furniture and home decor, I saw a nice shop near Shoba Club house at Bellandur .. Its a small one that has a small collection too .. I especially liked their cushion covers .. but I don't remember the name of the shop :( Its right next to the club .. You can visit it if you happen to go that side ..
    Gun pointed at your husband!! I am intrigued .. Do write about it ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure,I will. And thanks for the reco, aarthy.

      Delete
  2. New beginnings are always fun! Waiting to hear updates on what you think of Bangalore now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, aren't they?? :) Bangalore will be all new and strange to me now, I suspect.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could write the same...I am ready for a move! Esp if I could live in India for a few years, I would be so thrilled. And I say few just because am worried if I will fit in after being away for so long...I wouldn't even mind a move w/in U.S! :) But we just moved to this house - so I don't see how!
    Anyway - have a great time with the move!
    What - your son can give a test for the teachers - he needs to be prepped?! Ask him to see if they can cope with his level first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, I don't think so noon...he doesnt do extraordinarily well in standardised tests, but thats one of the other failings of the Indian education system!!

      Delete
  4. You have the usual @Home and Home Town for your furniture and furnishings. But if you need some exclusive stuff, there are two stores- The Heritage and Roots on Varthur Rd that specialize in antiques. Also, you can find some lovely (and expensive:-)) stuff at The Spinning Wheel and Nikaara near Whitefiled.

    I'd also like to know about the gun pointing incident ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for the leads Uma. Had not heard of these. Will check them out.

      Delete
  5. A gun was pointed at your husband? What? When? Why??? :O

    Good luck with the move! Will surely let you know if we come to know of any good shops that side for the stuff you want to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy being home and close to family, it's a gift most people don't get :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gun was pointed at your husband!!! That sounds scary!
    Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love B'lore weather too, dreamy and sudden rains when it heats up. Looking forward to our trip in July. Love the way you live your summers. Looking forward to read your updates from B'lore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If u have the time, we must have a bloggers meet when you are in Blr!

      Delete
    2. Sure, we could, that would be fun! Though I'll be in the other part of the city as you mentioned!

      Delete
    3. I think, if we plan ahead, we can make it happen :)

      Delete
  9. Hmm.. seems I had so many posts to catch up on, have been negligent on my blog reading lately :(..
    Whitefield ! In my nearly 15 years in Bangalore I have visited Whitefield about 5 times, and then in the last few months there seem to be more and more reasons to do it more often :).
    And yes, a gun?!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)