Kids

Kids

Thursday 14 March 2013

Durbar

The review of "Durbar" by Tavleen Singh in some newspaper or the other prompted me to buy the book. I haven't read any of this veteran journalist's other books but assumed it would be an interesting read. And it was. The story starts with Tavleen as the newbie journalist, learning the ropes as Emergency is declared in India. She gets to know people close to the Gandhi family and is privy to intimate dinner parties and social occasions where she meets Rajiv (then still a pilot), Sonia and the other Gandhis. Her impressions, good and bad, of the Gandhi clan are interspersed with various assignments across the country - Operation Bluestar in Punjab, Kashmir and later the IPKF intervention in Sri Lanka.
The book is racy and gripping. I got to thinking about what a monentous decade and a half that was - the Emergency onwards to Rajiv's assassination in 1991. There are a lot of memories, too many in fact.
Chennai, 1991. I remember my grandmother rocking back and forth on the sofa near the TV in our flat that hot summer day when Rajiv Gandhi was killed in Sriperumbudur. Enna azhagu, enna azhagu (how handsome, how handsome) she kept saying, tears streaming down her face, distraught at the gruesome manner of his killing.
Meerut, 1982. I remember my mom sleeping for several nights with a kitchen knife under her pillow because there were communal riots in the city and in our locality, and my dad was away. I must have been as old as Ads is now, and my brother about the same age as Y. I'm not sure whether I was frightened then. I know that the mere recollection of it gives me palpitations now! One night, we had a violent mob baying at the gate. Were they Muslim - I assume they were - otherwise why would they come attack a Hindu home in a predominantly Hindu locality? Amma fled with 2 half-asleep children across the connecting door to our landlord's house. We rushed to the terrace and hid ourselves and some of the family members threw down stones and other handy items at the mob. I have no recall of what happened later and how we escaped lynching or worse; I keep thinking about how brave my mother was and how terrified she must have been.
Lucknow, 1984. I remember that morning on TV and hearing that the Prime Minister had been shot down by her Sikh security guards. There were angry crowds roaming the streets, attacking Sikh neighbourhoods and homes. They were barging into every house and demanding to know whether any Sardars lived there. All I could hear from the inside of our house was a loud angry hum. There was an atmosphere of deep tension in the house. Amma asked me to keep writing Sri Ramajayam in my diary and that monotonous exercise calmed me down. Incredibly scared, I focused all my energies on filling up the pages and with every letter I drew, I prayed really hard that the mobs should go away and peace return to our street and the city.
I was left with a lot of admiration for this gutsy lady journalist who went willingly into some very dangerous situations, spent years following political campaigns and travelling the length and breadth of the country, and hobnobbed with the high and mighty of the land.
Yes, those were stirring times. Durbar brought all those years back in bright technicolour. I think for that reason alone I liked the book, spicy backroom palace gossip and all. Sometimes all you need to enjoy a book is a large dose of reminiscences!

13 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book too. Just couldn't keep it down... I haven't lived through as much as you have, we were in a place which was in some ways politically immune, but I do remember Indira Gandhi's assassination and the after effects.. and yes, I was so impressed by Tavleen Singh's spunk too. Really liked the book and your review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is also this no-nonsense, truth talker from all I see, not afraid to ask the tough question/holding people accountable right then and there. Gutsy. Mean to read this book, think it will be a good companion book to a book like Guha's on the history of India after Independence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is also this no-nonsense, truth talker from all I see, not afraid to ask the tough question/holding people accountable right then and there. Gutsy. Mean to read this book, think it will be a good companion book to a book like Guha's on the history of India after Independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've meaning to read the Guha book!!

      Delete
  4. Good review Aparna .. Sounds like an interesting book .(And am finally reading Ashok Banker's Ramayana now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you liking it so far?

      Delete
    2. It is proving to be a good read .. But one thing really bothers me .. There are a lot of good values that the Ramayana has to offer when narrated in the 'pure epic mode' .. Its all right if we read this book as just another version .. But what about those who read only this version?
      Actually, quite a bit of pondering is on in my mind .. I will probably be more clear once I finish the first book :)

      Delete
    3. I thought that too!!! One thing I really liked (which was never something that was stated explicitly in the "purer" versions I read) was Rama's focus on dharma, doing the right thing, and also his internal decision-making and conflicts which make him so much more human and real.

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to read this one and also the Moon has blood clots. Great reviews on both. I guess I'll have to settle for the e-books as I want to read them really bad. Your reminisces were very evocative, especially the Meerut one. I remember during Indira Gandhi's assassination, we had all gathered in someone's house to watch a grainy b&W TV. And the amount of tears shed by people, if only we knew better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our moon has blood clots is also on my list.

      Delete
  6. The book sounds interesting, though not something I would usually read.

    Your post brought back many of my own memories, of a communal riots and earthquake torn Gujarat. Not all pleasant memories. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your memories reminded me of the day Mumbai local train blasts took place. I remember my dad come home with his shirt splattered with some blood. He looked very shaken but was alright. He was in the compartment next to the one where the blast occurred. He escaped narrowly..still get goosebumps when I think of this incident :-0

    Nice review, Aparna..will try to get my hands on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do so...I have a feeling u will like it. Glad ur father got away safe , it must have been so harrowing.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)