Kids

Kids

Sunday 30 December 2012

Y's unanswerables, and Ads'

I'm reading this book called Cinderella ate my daughter by Peggy Orenstein. I'll review the book once I'm done with it but the chapter I was reading put me in mind of some of Y's tough questions. The book says (I quote):
.....Regardless of how we dress them or decorate their rooms, when they are tiny, children do not know pink from blue. Then the whole concept of labeling kicks in - sometime between the ages of two and three, they realise that there is this thing called "boy" and this thing called "girl" and something important differentiates them. But whatever, they wonder, could that be?
......Until around age five kids don't fully realize that their own identities (and their own anatomies) are fixed. before that, as far as they are concerned, you could grow up to be either a mommy or a daddy. And they don't understand that other people's sex stays the same despite superficial changes until as late as age seven.
Moving on to some questions Y has stumped (and regaled) me with.
When I am big like you, will I still be a girl?
Is Thatha (grandfather) my husband?
When I grow up, my husband will be Anna (Ads).
My friend S has short hair. Is she a boy or a girl?
I want to pee standing up like Anna. Why can't I do it?
Why don't I have what Anna has (she is NOT talking about a toy here!)
When Anna wears a hairband, he looks so cute. Why can't he wear a frock? (Why indeed!)
 
Why did nobody tell me I'd have to answer such questions?!!
Of course, these are chicken-feed compared to the one I got from Ads. He scans the front-page of the newspaper every morning, I knew the question would come and I was surprised he took so long to ask me. However I was still unprepared when he asked me what "rape" was. 
Kids don't, simply don't, need to know what rape is at this age. Not boys, not girls. When I read of little girls being violated, I am filled with impotent rage. 
Note to self: It's a big bad cruel world out there. Figure out what to tell Ads if he asks you again. I've always answered his questions (even if it took me a couple of days to google and get the answer) and this issue needs to be treated with due sensitivity and caution, especially since we cannot escape the big headlines in the paper everyday. Any ideas, people?

12 comments:

  1. Awww @ Y's unanswerables.
    This post makes me realise, yet again, what a tough job parenting is. It includes questions that need to be answered correctly, and not just waved off, to satisfy curious minds, in a way that does not depress or frighten them but leaves them hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though of course many a time I've delayed answering by saying - OMG look at the time, you'll miss your bus! (or something similar :))

      Delete
  2. No idea how to explain this to a child... truly a big bad world out there :(
    Do share how you handled this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well I'm getting there too - D asked me today about another way that babies come out of mommies without the stomachs being cut open :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup thats another key question i guess. Like I found ads explaining the whole process to yukta the other day but saying that "the babies only come out this way with non-human mammals. with humans, babies tear the mommies stomach and come out" :)

      Delete
  4. T is much the same. She even peed standing up once. Not fun to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am inundated with questions too, of course they've been simple ones like how food is digested, why does one have smelly poo poo, what is glass made of - so not too difficult as of now:) Babies - ha ha, Big G knows of both the methods:) Yes it is difficult to decide just how much information you can share with kids...they are impressionable. The book sounds very interesting, pls do post a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, was reading at top speed when kids were in Chennai. Now they are back and I haven't even opened the book :)

      Delete
  6. At the risk of sounding gross... I still remember that I used to be given this answer of Babies are in Mommies' stomach. I always used to wonder how the baby must be getting mixed up with the food mommy eats. And the answer to this used to be "God takes care of this by giving another room for the baby.:-)

    Loved the list of questions. Keep getting similar ones from my 3 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WElcome here Uma. Would like to know exactly what questions your 3yo comes up with!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)