Kids

Kids

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Empty nest

The children left with their dad for a short holiday to Chennai. I was feeling low for the last couple of hours - of course, they were super-excited! I hugged them tightly, deeply inhaled the scent of them, kissed them soundly. I went downstairs to see them off in the cab. They waved goodbye cheerfully through the windows.
Back upstairs, their slippers had been carelessly cast away on the living room floor. What would have normally got me mutter under my breath (or yell!) in annoyance now elicited a deep pang. Slowly I walked around the house, picking up a toy car here, assorted books there, some scraps of paper, clips and hairbands, dirty dishes....mechanically depositing everything in it's appointed place.
I cleaned the dining table, pulled out a fresh tablecover and adjusted it over the table, knowing it would remain pristine and unwrinked for the next 5 days. There would be no spills or splotches, no books lying on top of it, no markers staining it in big unseemly blotches. I plumped up the cushions on the sofa, knowing that they would remain in the same position for the next few days and would not be thrown on the floor while the sofa became a rocket-launcher, tractor or skyscraper!
The kids' room was a big mess. I easily resisted the urge to clean it up. I let the toys and books and crayons stay littered all over the bed, floor and table.
The rest of the house is immaculate. Beds are made, clothes hang in the closet. There are no toothpaste stains in the wash-basin. There are no stray slippers. I don't trip over random objects on the floor.
And yet the most perfect warm and welcoming room is the room which my kids have made their own. The messiest room in the house awaits its rightful inhabitants. 

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post, I am impatient for my brats to leave me in peace and then wait impatiently for them to be back! You can't have it all:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely, chatty wren...now can't wait for them to get back...am feeling so empty.

      Delete
  2. aww..yep, I can sort of imagine your situation, although I am secretly hoping to be in that situation some day.
    At the moment, I'm having a couple of hours without R but 'm sure if these hours extend to some days, I will miss him as hell :-)
    Enjoy the peace while it lasts...you still have a lot of time to lament over the little birds taking off in a longer flight..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I guess I shd be happy I get a break every now and then. But we mothers are never truly happy!

      Delete
  3. Awwww, this is such a beautiful post! It happens to me too - sometimes I crave to be left alone, so that I can read or write or just be in peace, and when I am actually alone, the house seems so very empty and dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww...i think i know what u mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely written.

    I so hear you on the wrinkle-free and clean table cover. Good taste is warring with convenience to swap my pretty, printed table covers with those indestructible but ugly plastic ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rohini; I decided to win that particular battle, Fab India won over lajpat nagar plastic :)

      Delete
  6. I know! We so look forward to the peace, and then miss them in a couple of minutes!! More than they miss us, might I say ?!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)