Kids

Kids

Tuesday 11 December 2012

Birding in Bharatpur

The last weekend saw us setting off to Keoladeo National Park, previously known as the Bharatpur bird sanctuary. The little fella is now into birds, specifically Raptors. I used to think, courtesy Jurassic park, that raptors refer to dinosaurs only, which is not wholly true :) We drove straight to the bird sanctuary which was unexpectedly scenic and chock-a-bloc with birds. We didn't manage to see too many raptors but saw plenty of other birds including painted storks, herons (4 types), fowl, geese, ducks (several types) and many others whose names I've now completely forgotten. Apparently we saw 25 species - my son tells me so and I am sure he is right. Obviously, if we had hired a cycle we could have gone deeper into the jungle where we could have spotted many more species of birds, not to mention pythons and other such nasties. But it was neither practical nor advisable to do that with 2 young children in tow. So we stuck to the cycle-rickshaws that are the normal mode of transport in Bharatpur. The drivers are extremely knowledgeable about each species of bird. Mostly, they are locals who have undergone intensive training in identifying and describing the birds. Moreover, they are very helpful. Our driver even had some cool tips on how to zoom in and click better pictures :)
We spent a good 4 hours in the sanctuary. We started at 1.30 pm and by the time we finished, it was pitch dark, really cold, and the jackals had started howling deep in the forest!
The next day, our only agenda was to make a quick trip to the Taj. Being a Sunday, the entrance queue was really long and we looked on in dismay, wondering whether we would have to abandon the whole project. We ended up paying some tout 300 bucks to take us in through the South Gate. Later we realized we'd been expertly fleeced, because we could have just walked in through the South gate by paying 20 bucks apiece! Of course, a few minutes later, gazing on the stunning Taj cleared any residual annoyance at having to pay extra - 75 Rs per head seemed like a small price to pay for admiring its impeccable beauty!
It was also our first time on the Yamuna Expressway which was pretty awesome. The road was superb, the facilities at each tollgate (snacks, loos) were well-maintained and both sides of the expressway were lined with green fertile farmland as far as the eye could see. The only thing that made you realize you were in India was....you guessed it...the quality of the driving :(
 
Sarson ke khet - enroute to Bharatpur
Inside the park - isn't the sky just beautiful?
 
The wetlands were pristine. This particular view like so many others reminded me of the many "mirror lakes" in New Zealand

Pretty gruesome, a listing of the no. of birds killed and guns used

Painted stork

Yamuna E-way

The Taj - sigh :)
 

10 comments:

  1. So many times in the vicinity but never been to Bharatpur, did not know it's new name. And for all the bird watching I used to do, had not heard of raptors. Ads is really impressive. Liked your Taj photo a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Chatty wren. Even I did not know the new name of the bird sanctuary. Its well worth the visit esp in a good year for migratory birds like 2012.

      Delete
  2. I would love to visit this sanctuary. It sounds so fascinating! I have never really studied birds in a sanctuary, though I love doing that around my house. :)

    Loved the pic of the Taj. It is a beauty, isn't it? We visited it a couple of years back, and LOVED it.

    Loved the pic of the sarson ke khet too. Haven't ever seen them. Only remember them from DDLJ and Pyaar Toh Hona Hi Tha (I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarson ke khet are very common around here...next trip u must try to see some when u drive..tho i am not sure whether its a winter crop only? They are extremely pretty, no wonder filmamkers use them in movies.

      Delete
  3. that's a lovely shot of the Taj..am hearing some lovely reviews about the Yamuna E-highway.....and jackals howling...somehow this reminded me of B.R. Chopra's Mahabharat background score whenever Shakuni used to walk in...remember that??

    ReplyDelete
  4. My long comment did not go through looks like! :(
    Anyway - wish we could have accompanied you on this trip. KB would have loved this kind of company - Ads and him would have been talking on and on about nature...
    How does he know so much - 25 species n all - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wish some like-minded kid would have accompanied ads - since I was busy with Y (she was whiny and irritable) and I think my husband could not provide the required intellectual stimulation :)

      Delete
  5. Nice pictures... I would love to visit someday too. There is a bird sanctuary near Gurgaon too ... Sultanpur bird sanctuary... not as good as Bharatpur but probably worth a visit if Ads is interested in birds :)
    I love "sarson ke khet" too :) I remember I have a pic of me from college days in "sarson ke khet" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I wish I had a pic of myself in a sarson ka khet...that would be so cool :) Yes we planned to go to sultanpur too but apparently it gets really crowded on weekends. Still thinking about it.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)