Kids

Kids

Thursday 20 October 2011

Maggi Mee-Goreng

This is probably the most easy recipe (one of the most tasty too, but S doesn't care so much for it, so I make it far less often than I'd like to) to whip up. It's Maggi with a twist! The recipe here is the authentic Malay one but my mother-in-law, who first taught me this, says the Indonesians add coconut milk to the final product and that's how I make it.
Stir fry spring onions and your choice of veggies, add 1.5 cups of water and tastemaker and cook Maggi as usual. I also add chopped paneer and scrambled eggs to this mix for an additional health boost. Once all the water has been absorbed, add about a quarter cup of coconut milk and cook for a further minute on low flame until the milk is almost absorbed but not fully. You want the noodles to be somewhat wet. 
Not a good lunch-box option - Maggi forms a solid mass in the tiffin box and its difficult for the kids to eat with a fork. People also fry green chillies and garlic and other spices before adding the vegetables but that seems like too much work so I just skip that part! This recipe is best had hot and steaming on a rainy evening :)

9 comments:

  1. Now now no fair to hit me with two food recipes in one day, and just before dinner too :) !!

    I usually avoid Maggi for the other noodles (which is very unfair to my kids considering how much I've had in my school/college days ;)), but this twist really sounds interesting. Must try soon!

    For coconut milk, are you a stickler and get it from the coconut every time, or have you tried any of those instant powders? If so, feedback please! And is this recipe made with any other noodle type too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aparna, i try all kinds of random coconut powders. Since I don't use a whole lot, it would be a waste of time to get fresh coco milk and so I just take the easy way out. I believe the recipe can also be made with 'flat noodles' - what are those?? :) I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi

    first time here, love your blog, nice write ups.. btw are you in spore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaktii, hi and welcome to my lil space :) Thanks for your kind words. Nope I don't live in Singapore, I live in Gurgaon (India).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried this recipe and I totally agree on it being yummy when served hot :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @theerailivedin: Thanks, it IS yummy isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally tried this recipe today - had bookmarked it - but with all the other heavy duty cooking happening, Vish was never up for maggi noodles - finally made this one only for myself - and enjoyed it thoroughly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have u ever tried fried maggi?? Sanjay loves it. apparently its a BITS speciality. I'm waiting for the day when he says my fried maggi is as good as the BITS one.

      Delete
    2. I also think my bro is getting totally spoilt now with ur cooking. I shd get him home and give him some plain dry dal-roti and watch as he cribs :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)