"Always kiss your children goodnight - even if they're already asleep."
Monday 12 July 2010
I was tagged by Life_refactored quite a few days ago and thought I should throw in my own 2 cents. Here goes.
Following are the rules:
Please list at least ten things you have ever wanted or done which your gender is not supposed to. The tag is called ‘My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes’. And you must tag twelve blogging friends or else you will be cursed to wear blue clothes pants if you are a woman and pink shirts if you are a man – for next twelve years.
Well, neither do I have 12 blogging friends and neither do I know whether I can come up with 10 whole things that were "not supposed" to be done by my gender. But here goes.
1. I've had, for several years, a "boy-cut". I remember that the first time I cut my hair really short was also the time that my brother had really long hair :) Our poor parents!
2. I love driving and think I am reasonably good at it. Never got the hang of a motorcycle but other easy-drive two-wheelers are fun. For many years now, it has been a car for me.
3. I've lived all alone and fended for myself, as a paying-guest, in the big bad city of Mumbai. Travelled alone in trains and buses at odd hours.
4. I've travelled without a ticket from Chennai to Calcutta by the Howrah mail. I used to dash into the loo everytime the ticket collector came along :) I was desperate, it was a friend's wedding and for some reason we hadn't reserved our seats!
5. I used to have many more male friends than female friends. That has changed now, not because I got rid of the guys but because I made lots of girlfriends!
6. Until I had kids, I never expected to be picked up from the bus station/railway station/airport and escorted home or wherever it was that I was going. It's a different matter that whenever I landed in Chennai, my dad would always be there to escort me! Now, with kids, I prefer that someone meet me and handle the messy logistics.
7. I don't like talking about what I cooked today, maids, gossip about neighbours etc etc.
8. I've travelled alone (only on work though) and enjoyed the solitude and freedom.
That's all I got for now! It's been fun thinking about these things :)